Abe Fellowship for Journalists (AFJ)
The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) and the Japan Foundation Center for Global Partnership (CGP) declare Abe Fellowship for Journalists (AFJ). CGP is providing the funding for the fellowship.
The Abe Fellowship for Journalists is aimed to encourage in-depth inclusion of topics of pressing concern to Japan and the US through individual short-term policy-related projects.
The Fellowship Research Agenda
Candidates are invited to submit proposals on one of the four topics below.
- Threats to Personal, Societal, and International Security.
- Growth and Sustainable Development
- Social, Scientific, and Cultural Trends and Transformations
- Governance, Empowerment, and Participation
- The AFJ competition is open to nationals of the United States and Japan with at least five years of professional journalistic experience with newsmagazines, newspapers, wire services, and online news organizations. Freelancers are also eligible. Nationals of other countries can also apply if they are permanent residents of the United States or Japan, or have a long-term affiliation with the American or Japanese journalistic communities.
- Proposals must be nonpartisan.
- US-based candidates with no prior journalistic employment in Japan have priority; Japan-based candidates with no previous journalistic employment in the United States have priority.
Fellowship awards are depending upon receipt of funding from the Japan Foundation Center for Global Partnership.
Stipend: The stipend is $23,500, which includes one round-trip air ticket, funds to prepare for overseas fieldwork, and support for interpretation.
The program provides funds for six weeks in Japan or the United States. The period may be divided between principal destination and another country.
Deadline: 17 September 2017
The application deadline is September 15 each year. Applications must be submitted online at http://soap.ssrc.org.
In the US:
Abe Fellowship Program
Social Science Research Council
One Pierrepont Plaza, 15th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201 USA
Tel: 212-377-2700 / Fax: 212-377-2727
Abe Fellowship Program
SSRC Tokyo Office
c/o Japan Foundation Center for Global Partnership
Tokyo 160-0004, Japan
Tel: 3-5369-6085 / Fax: 3-5369-6142
|Organization||SSRC and CGP|
|Country||US and Japan|
|Deadline||17 September 2017|
For further details: Click here