The School of Architecture and the Built Environment at KTH Royal Institute of Technology invites application for Ph.D. student in Smart Urbanization ( Reference number: A-2017-0353). This Ph.D. studentship involves a 04 year study of the political & spatial aspects of smart urbanization in Europe.
The researcher would investigate how notions of smart are conceived & enacted in distinct spatial configurations & how these activities inform urban development policies & dynamics. Research activities would involve comparative ethnographic & spatial analysis of smart projects in various European cities.
The position is based at Urban & regional studies at the KTH campus in central Stockholm. Andrew Karvonen is project leader & supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Eligibility criterion is as follows:
- Master’s degree or equivalent competence in a relevant discipline such as urban & regional planning, sociology, human geography, anthropology, public administration, political science, environmental science or science and technology studies, or similar academic subjects.
- Candidates should have a very good academic track record with a clear understanding of theories & practice of sustainability & innovation as they relate to urban development.
- The successful applicant will have demonstrated experience & capabilities in qualitative & spatial research methods.
- The applicant must be ambitious & creative with a strong motivation to conduct critical academic research on smart urbanization & have the ability to work independently as well as in teams.
- The successful applicant is expected to be fluent in spoken & written English. Additional languages are beneficial but not required.
Interested and eligible applicant are requested to log into KTH’s recruitment system. The applicant is responsible to ensure that his or her application is complete according to the advertised specifications. The application must include:
- Cover letter: a one-page summary of the application.
- CV: a summary (maximum 02 pages) of your relevant academic, professional, & other achievements & experience.
- Academic qualifications: Copy of the degree certificate(s) & transcripts from previously attended university-level institutions (provide English translations for documents in other languages).
- Statement of purpose: a document (maximum 02 pages) stating why you are interested in pursuing a doctoral degree on this topic, giving an account of your academic interests & background.
- Writing samples: a maximum of 02 writing samples such as publications, reports, &/or dissertations/theses.
- Recommendation letters: a minimum of 02 recommendation letters.
- Andrew Karvonen/Assistant Professor, +46 8 790 92 62
- Yvonne Alm/Human Resources Officer, +46 8 790 94 32
|Organization||KTH Royal Institute of Technology|
The KTH Campus is located in Stockholm, the Capital of Scandinavia and the home of the Nobel Prize. Living in Stockholm, you will be part of one of the most dynamic and enterprising cities in Europe.
By choosing KTH, you will get access to a vibrant student life in a beautiful setting with world-class facilities and extensive student service.
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- World leading and interdisciplinary research
- Modern teaching methods with a strong link to actual research and business collaborations
- KTH provides great opportunities for international careers
- Active and multicultural student life with almost 100 different nationalities represented
- Strong industry infrastructure
- Address Sweden
Scholarships by Country
- India (1,102)
- Europe (823)
- United Kingdom (545)
- Germany (510)
- United States (476)
- Norway (247)
- Switzerland (240)
- Australia (233)
- Denmark (197)
- Sweden (191)
- Netherlands (172)
- Italy (141)
- France (102)
- Canada (98)
- Spain (94)
- Japan (83)
- Belgium (76)
- All Country (68)
- Finland (68)
- New Zealand (45)
- China (42)
- Austria (41)
- Singapore (40)
- Poland (37)
- South Africa (30)
Type of Scholarships
- Environment Science(2)
- International Grants(118)
- JRF / SRF(4)
- Masters | PhD(56)
- Research Associate(330)
- Research Awards(290)
- Short cources(18)
- Short courses(34)
- Technical positions(361)
- Travel Grants(60)