Max Planck Institute (MPI) for Solar System Research invites applications for a postdoctoral position in the research group on planetary interiors.
About the position:
- Selected candidate will study processes of double-diffusive convection in fluid regions inside rotating planets by means of numerical simulation.
- Applications include fluid flow, layer formation, and the effect on magnetic field generation in the metallic cores of terrestrial planets and/or gas planets.
- Applicant must hold a PhD degree in a relevant discipline at the time of appointment.
- Applicant must have good knowledge in the hydrodynamics and magnetohydrodynamics of rotating fluid system and must be conversant with dynamical processes inside planets in general.
- Applicant must have some experience in program development and computational fluid dynamics using parallel computers.
- Applicants having experience with problems of double-diffusive convection would have advantage.
Duration: initially for 01 year; may be extended depending on available funding
Starting date: negotiable; but should be around October, 1, 2017
Remuneration: according to the German public service salary scale TVöD
Applications must include the following:
- Short CV
- List of publications
- Brief statement of research interests
- Applications to be sent as a single pdf-file to Prof. Ulrich Christensen (Christensen at mps.mpg.de).
- The review of applications will start on June 15.
|Organization||Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research|
|Subject areas||Astronomy & Astrophysics|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||15 June 2017|
The Max Planck Institutes carry out basic research in the life sciences, natural sciences and the social and human sciences. It is thus almost impossible to allocate an individual institute to one single research field: conversely, it can be the case that different Max Planck Institutes carry out research in the same subject. To orientate yourself, please choose a research area first, and then a specific research field. The table will list all MPIs meeting your selection criteria.
- Address Germany