Max-Planck Institute for Astronomy (MPIA) invites applications from ambitious, highly qualified post-doctoral researcher to work on high angular resolution astronomy and instrumentation.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Selected candidate will be expected to carry out an independent program of research, as well as collaborate with Tom Herbst and other MPIA scientists on ongoing programs.
- Selected postdoctoral fellow will specifically assist with the commissioning and early scientific exploitation of LINC-NIRVANA (LN), a high-resolution near-infrared imager on the Large Binocular Telescope (LBT). LN employs natural guide-star Multi-Conjugate Adaptive Optics (MCAO) to deliver a wide field, diffraction-limited image.
- Selected candidate will participate in these preparatory runs and contribute to the Early Science program. In this context, individual research projects and ideas are strongly encouraged.
- Applicants must have a PhD in astronomy, astrophysics, or a closely related field.
Duration: initially for 3 years
Remuneration: as per German public sector scale (TVöD pay level E13/E14) and depends on qualification and experience.
Starting date: flexible; but would be before the end of 2017.
Application must include:
- Brief statement of research interests
- 3 letters of reference to be sent directly
- Application materials and references to be sent to Tom Herbst (firstname.lastname@example.org) quoting in the subject line: High Angular Resolution Postdoctoral.
|Organization||Max Planck Institute for Astronomy (MPIA)|
|Subject areas||Astronomy & Astrophysics|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||15 September 2017|
The Max Planck Institutes carry out basic research in the life sciences, natural sciences and the social and human sciences. It is thus almost impossible to allocate an individual institute to one single research field: conversely, it can be the case that different Max Planck Institutes carry out research in the same subject. To orientate yourself, please choose a research area first, and then a specific research field. The table will list all MPIs meeting your selection criteria.
Core Research Areas:
- Cultural Studies
- Ecology . Plant Research
- Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Developmental Biology
- Cognitive Science .
- Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Biology & Medicine
- Material & Technology
- Environment & Climate
- Address Germany
- MPIA Fellowship and Postdoctoral Research Positions: Astronomy & Astrophysics
- CAESAR- IMPRS: 15 PhD Positions (Neuroscience); Fully-funded
- Max Planck-ETH Center for Learning Systems: Multiple PhD Fellowships
- 2 PDF, Max Planck Instt: Quantum Chemistry
- MPI of Biochemistry: Postdoctoral Position – Immunology
Scholarships by Country
- India (1,091)
- Europe (780)
- United Kingdom (508)
- Germany (483)
- United States (444)
- Norway (234)
- Switzerland (226)
- Australia (220)
- Denmark (185)
- Sweden (184)
- Netherlands (155)
- Italy (142)
- Canada (95)
- France (93)
- Spain (91)
- Japan (78)
- Belgium (67)
- Finland (66)
- All Country (63)
- New Zealand (44)
- Austria (43)
- China (39)
- Singapore (38)
- Poland (35)
- Czech Republic (31)
Type of Scholarships