Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU), School of Biology is seeking an appropriate post-graduate research assistant for a period of 18 months. The successful candidate with be based in the Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU) within the School of Biology at University of St Andrews, UK.
Salary: £25,769 – £30,738/annum
Duration: Fixed Term; 18 months (initially)
Start date: November 2016 or as soon as possible thereafter
Supervisors: Dr Gordon Hastie & Dr Doug Gillespie at SMRU
The project is supported by the Scottish Government as part of a Marine Mammal Scientific Support grant to SMRU with specific emphasis on the potential effects of tidal stream energy devices on marine mammals.
- monitoring the operational status of the sensor systems
- data download and archiving
- preliminary data cleansing
- analysis and reporting
- Applicants with a strong mathematical or signal processing background are encouraged to apply.
- Applicant having experience of previous use of passive and active acoustic data, with regards to animal movement analyses, would be particularly advantageous.
- Applicant must hold degree in Biology, Bioacoustics, Computational Biology, Physics, Engineering, or in a related subject.
- Applicant must have hands-on practical programming knowledge in Matlab or R otherwise Java or C/C++; experience of data manipulation and statistical analysis in R.
- Applicant must possess good communication skills (verbal and written)
How to apply:
- Apply online
|Organization||University of St Andrews|
|Subject areas||Biology, Bioacoustics, Computational Biology, Physics, Engineering|
|Fellowship amount||£25,769 – £30,738/annum|
|Eligibility||Master’s in relevant subject|
|Deadline||26 October 2016|
For Further Details: Click