TWAS-COMSTECH Joint Research Grants are awarded to promising high-level research projects in earth sciences, engineering sciences, information technology and computer sciences, materials science including nanotechnology, pharmaceutical sciences and renewable energy carried out by young individual scientists in OIC countries.
This Joint Research Grants are intended for young scientists in countries belonging to the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) to enable them to purchase the research facilities they need to enhance their productivity.
Research Grant: maximum of USD 15,000
Duration: 24 months; renewable once.
- Earth Sciences
- Engineering Sciences
- Information Technology
- Computer Sciences
- Material Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Renewable Energy
- Individual applicants must be nationals of OIC member states
- Applicant must hold PhD and some research experience, but at the beginning of their careers.
- Applicant must hold positions at universities or research institutions in one of the OIC countries.
- The grants are awarded to competent scientists under the age of 40 years.
- Scientists who submit a satisfactory final report on a previous grant may apply for a renewal.
How to apply
- Apply online
|Organization||The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS)|
|Fellowship Level||Research Awards|
Earth Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Information Technology and Computer Sciences, Material Sciences including Nanotechnology, Pharmaceutical Sciences and Renewable Energy
|Fellowship amount||USD 15,000|
|Eligibility||Open to OIC member states|
|Deadline||11 May 2017|
TWAS was founded in 1983 by a distinguished group of scientists from the developing world, under the leadership of Abdus Salam, the Pakistani physicist and Nobel laureate. They shared a belief that developing nations, by building strength in science and engineering, could build the knowledge and skill to address such challenges as hunger, disease and poverty. From the start, the Academy had essential support from Italian scientists and political leaders.
Through three decades, TWAS’s mission has remained consistent:
- Recognize, support and promote excellence in scientific research in the developing world;
- Respond to the needs of young scientists in countries that are lagging in science and technology;
- Promote South-South and South-North cooperation in science, technology and innovation;
- Encourage scientific research and sharing of experiences in solving major problems facing developing countries.
TWAS and its partners offer over 600 fellowships per year to scientists in the developing world who want to pursue PhDs and postdoctoral research. TWAS prizes and awards are among the most prestigious given for scientific work in the developing world. The Academy distributes more than USD1 million in research grants every year to individual scientists and research groups. It supports visiting scientists and provides funding for regional and international science meetings.
- Address Italy
Scholarships by Country
- India (1,090)
- Europe (779)
- United Kingdom (508)
- Germany (483)
- United States (444)
- Norway (233)
- Switzerland (226)
- Australia (220)
- Denmark (185)
- Sweden (184)
- Netherlands (155)
- Italy (142)
- Canada (95)
- France (93)
- Spain (91)
- Japan (78)
- Belgium (67)
- Finland (66)
- All Country (62)
- New Zealand (44)
- Austria (43)
- China (39)
- Singapore (38)
- Poland (35)
- Czech Republic (31)
Type of Scholarships