Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India announces the beginning of VAJRA (Visiting Advanced Joint Research) Faculty Scheme. The scheme is a dedicated program exclusively for overseas scientists and academicians with emphasis on Non-resident Indians (NRI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) / Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) to work as adjunct / visiting faculty for a specific period of time in Indian Public funded academic and research institutions.
- The scheme is open to overseas scientist / faculty /R&D professional including Non-resident Indians (NRI) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIO) / Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).
- Applicant must be an active researcher working with overseas academic / research / industrial organizations with proven track record of research and development.
Duration: minimum 1 month and a maximum 3 months a year; adjunct position will be offered initially for a period of 1 year, and can be renewed every year.
- The selected VAJRA Faculty will be provided a lump-sum amount of US $ 15000 in the first month of engagement in a year and US $ 10000 pm in the other two months to cover their travel and honorarium.
- No separate support is provided for accommodation, medical / personal insurance etc.
- Applications may be submitted at any time during the year.
- Results will be announced by SERB in the month of April and September.
- It is recommended that applicant approach the Indian Institutions to explore the possibility of taking up the VAJRA Faculty position.
- The institutions in India can also scout for talented faculty in overseas institutions.
- The Indian collaborator and the overseas faculty will jointly frame a research plan and the application duly endorsed by the Head of the Institution will be submitted online by the Indian collaborator.
- Applications to be submitted online www.serbonline.in
|Organization||Department of Science and Technology (DST)|
|Subject areas||All disciplines|
|Fellowship amount||US $ 35000|
|Eligibility||Open to NRI, PIO, OCI|
Applications for VAJRA Faculty Scheme can be submitted from 1st July, 2017 onwards!!!
Department of Science & Technology (DST) was established in May 1971, with the objective of promoting new areas of Science & Technology and to play the role of a nodal department for organising, coordinating and promoting S&T activities in the country. The Department has major responsibilities for specific projects and programmes as listed below:
- Formulation of policies relating to Science and Technology.
- Matters relating to the Scientific Advisory Committee of the Cabinet (SACC).
- Promotion of new areas of Science and Technology with special emphasis on emerging areas.
- Research and Development through its research institutions or laboratories for development of indigenous technologies concerning bio-fuel production, processing, standardization and applications, in co-ordination with the concerned Ministry or Department;
- Research and Development activities to promote utilization of by-products to development value added chemicals.
- Coordination and integration of areas of Science & Technology having cross-sectoral linkages in which a number of institutions and departments have interest and capabilities.
- Undertaking or financially sponsoring scientific and technological surveys, research design and development, where necessary.
- Support and Grants-in-aid to Scientific Research Institutions, Scientific Associations and Bodies.
- Matters commonly affecting Scientific and technological departments/organisations/ institutions e.g. financial, personnel, purchase and import policies and practices.
- Management Information Systems for Science and Technology and coordination thereof.
- Matters regarding Inter-Agency/Inter-Departmental coordination for evolving science and technology missions.
- Matters concerning domestic technology particularly the promotion of ventures involving the commercialization of such technology other than those under the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research.
- All other measures needed for the promotion of science and technology and their application to the development and security of the nation.
- Matters relating to institutional Science and Technology capacity building including setting up of new institutions and institutional infrastructure.
- Promotion of Science and Technology at the State, District, and Village levels for grass- roots development through State Science and Technology Councils and other mechanisms.
- Application of Science and Technology for weaker sections, women and other disadvantaged sections of Society.
- Address India
Scholarships by Country
- India (1,132)
- Europe (827)
- United Kingdom (531)
- Germany (500)
- United States (469)
- Norway (243)
- Switzerland (239)
- Australia (229)
- Denmark (193)
- Sweden (190)
- Netherlands (166)
- Italy (144)
- Canada (98)
- France (97)
- Spain (96)
- Japan (82)
- Belgium (73)
- All Country (68)
- Finland (67)
- Austria (43)
- New Zealand (43)
- China (40)
- Singapore (39)
- Poland (36)
- Czech Republic (31)
Type of Scholarships
- Environment Science(2)
- International Grants(128)
- JRF / SRF(4)
- Masters | PhD(55)
- Research Associate(334)
- Research Awards(284)
- Short cources(18)
- Short courses(34)
- Technical positions(364)
- Travel Grants(62)