Sweden: Uppsala University has posted 11 jobs
Sweden: Uppsala University: Uppsala University, founded in 1477. It was the first university in Scandinavia. It was the brainchild of Archbishop Jakob Ulvsson of Uppsala. The new University was small, having at most 50 students and a handful of professors.
In the 1520s and 1530s the university lost its economic and ideological basis and for a long time remained only an idea without real content.
However, this situation changed at the end of the 16th century and a decision was made at the Church council in Uppsala (Uppsala möte) in 1593 to restore the privileges of the University.
Uppsala University celebrated its 400th anniversary with pomp and show in 1877. As a gift from the Swedish state on this occasion, the University received a new university building – University Hall – which is still in use. The building was officially opened ten years later in 1887.
Women had been allowed to study at the University starting in the 1870s. However, it was a long and arduous struggle for the women who studied here to achieve equal recognition in their studies and academic careers. The first woman in Scandinavia to receive a PhD was the historian Ellen Fries, who received her degree in Uppsala in 1883.
The University boasted many prominent scholars during this period. Some of them became Nobel laureates. Alfred Nobel, himself, received an honorary doctorate from the University in 1893.
Today the University is spread out over large areas, with a number of campuses of inter- and multi-disciplinary character, thus making Uppsala a modern university.
Some of the courses and programs run by the University are as follows:
- Bachelor in Physics
- Bachelor in Molecular biology
- Master of science in Electrical Engineering
- Master of Science program in Energy
- Science program in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Chemical Engineering
- Science program in Aquatic and Environmental Engineering
- Science program in Molecular Biotechnology
- Master of Science in System Engineering and Society
- Science program in Engineering Physics
- Science program in Materials Engineering
- Physics and Mathematics
- Early Childhood Masters
- Bachelors program in Earth science
- Bachelor of arts in Archeology and Ancient history
- Bachelor program in Peace and Development Studies
- Bachelor program in Computer science
- Specialist Nursing
- Master of Chemistry
- Masters in ABM (ABM is an abbreviation for archives, libraries and museums)
- Masters in humanities
- Master in Educational Science
- Masters in religion
- MSc in Accounting and Finance
- Masters in German Studies
- Masters in Social sciences
- Address Sweden