The Leakey Foundation exclusively funds research related specifically to human origins.
Priority of funding is commonly given to exploratory phases of promising new research projects that meet the stated purpose of the Foundation.
The Leakey Foundation’s mission is to increase scientific knowledge, education, and public understanding of human origins, evolution, behavior and survival.
Subject areas: The Leaky foundation provides grants in the following research areas –About the Program: The majority of The Leakey Foundation’s Research Grants awarded to doctoral students are in the $3,000-$15,000 range. Larger grants given to senior scientists and post-doctoral students may be funded up to $25,000.
- Paleoanthropology of the Miocene, Pliocene, and Pleistocene.
- Primates (Old and New World): Evolution, behavior, morphology, ecology, endocrinology, genetics, isotope studies, and modern hunter-gatherer groups.
Qualifications / Requirements: Following candidates are eligible for Leakey Foundation Research Grants:
- Advanced doctoral students (advanced to candidacy – all but dissertation)
- Postdocs, Established scientists (PhD holders).
- There are no citizenship restrictions
- All applications must be in English.
- High school and undergraduate college students are NOT eligible.
- Before you begin please review the Application Guidelines and Frequently Asked Question
- To start the process, click on Start Your Online Application. Please follow the instructions on each page of the application. At the end of the application you will be asked to upload certain documents.
- Specific instructions for these documents as well as templates and other useful information can be found on the Detailed Application Instructions
Deadlines: In order for your application to be accepted for review, all of the required materials must be received on or before the stated deadlines of:
- January 5 (January 15th for resubmissions from previous cycles)
- July 15.
Paddy Moore, Grants Officer
H. Gregory, Grants Associate
The Leakey Foundation
1003B O’Reilly Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94129-1359
Telephone: (415) 561-4646
FAX: (415) 561-4647
|Fellowship Level||Postdoc, Research grants|
|Subject areas||Natural Sciences: Human origins, Anthropology|
|Fellowship amount||$3,000 -$15,000|
|Deadline||January 5th (Spring Cycle)
July 15th (Fall Cycle)