SINGA is an award given to international students with excellent academic undergraduate and/or master’s results, and strong interest in doing research leading to a doctorate (PhD) in Science and Engineering at a Singapore University.
SINGA brings together top scientists from A*STAR, NTU, NUS, and SUTD. These scientists have made a mark in the international R&D landscape and are currently pursuing research work here at A*STAR, NTU, NUS or SUTD.
Host Institution(s): The students can choose to do their research work mainly at the Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU) or the Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD).
Field of study:
Science and Engineering
Number of Awards:
About 240 per year
The award provides financial support for up to 4 years of PhD studies including full tuition fees, monthly stipend, settlement allowance, and airfare grant.
• Open to all international students
• Graduates with a passion for research and excellent academic results
• Good skills in written and spoken English
• Good reports from academic referees
Applications are done online. Deadline for August 2016 intake is 1 January 2016.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
- Attractive monthly stipend over 4 years of PhD studies, which can support you comfortably. The stipend amount is SGD 24,000 annually, to be increased to SGD 30,000 after passing Qualifying Examination.
- Full support for tuition fees for 4 years of PhD studies.
- One-time SGD 1,000 Settling-in Allowance
- One-time Airfare Grant of SGD 1,500
Official Scholarship Website: https://www.a-star.edu.sg/singa-award/
How To Apply
Application for January 2016 intake has closed. Click here to apply for August 2016 intake.
Please note that the application deadline for August 2016 intake is 1 January 2016. Only applications with complete supporting documents submitted before or on 1 January 2016 (2359hrs GMT+8 SINGAPORE Time) will be processed.
- Please ensure that the information you provide during registration for an account in the application portal is accurate, as the information will be used for verification upon your first log-in.
- Please ensure that you apply for the correct scholarship – “Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA)” – in the application portal after logging in.
- Softcopies of the following supporting documents must be uploaded during your online application:
- Identity card or Passport
- A recent passport-sized photo in JPEG/PNG format
- Bachelor’s Academic Transcripts (in English translation)
- Bachelor’s Degree Certificate / Scroll (in English translation) or a letter of certification from the university on your candidature if your degree certificate / scroll has not yet been conferred
- Master’s Academic Transcripts, if any (in English translation)
- Master’s Degree Certificate / Scroll, if any (in English translation) or a letter of certification from the university on your candidature if your degree certificate / scroll has not yet been conferred
- 2 recommendation reports (to be completed and submitted online by the referees)
- Not compulsory but good to include (if available):
GRE / IELTS / TOEFL / SAT I & II / GATE results
- Please note that you are NOT required to mail the hard copies of the abovementioned documents to the SINGA Office. The SINGA Office shall not be responsible for any loss of documents.
- Please note that you are strongly advised to submit your application as early as possible, so as to provide ample time for your referees to submit their online recommendation reports in the portal before the application deadline. Only applications with 2 recommendation reports submitted before the above stipulated application deadline will be processed.
- Please check and ensure that all data you have entered in the online application form is correct and accurate before you submit the application. Amendments to the application will NOT be possible after it is submitted.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified within 10 weeks from the application closing date.
Further enquiries: https://www.a-star.edu.sg/singa-award/Contact-Us.aspx