JSPS Fellowship Programs for Overseas Researchers Postdoctoral Fellowships for Overseas Researchers Invitation Fellowships for Research in Japan FY 2016 (2016-2017) 1. The purpose of this program is to provide opportunities for young postdoctoral researchers from overseas to conduct, under the guidance of their hosts, cooperative research with leading research groups in Japanese universities and other institutions.
JSPS has launched the JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Overseas Researchers (Strategic Program) to strategically invite excellent researchers with high future potential from selected countries, starting with the major advanced nations, to Japan for the purpose of building collaborative research relationships with Japanese colleagues.
OUTLINE OF FELLOWSHIP The Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS) carries out programs that provide overseas researchers who have an excellent record of research achievements with an opportunity to conduct collaborative research, discussions, and opinion exchanges with researchers in Japan. These programs are intended to help advance the overseas researchers’ research activities while promoting science and internationalization in Japan.
FIELDS OF RESEARCH: All fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences are included under this program.
Eligible host institutions include the following:
1) Universities and inter-university research institutes
2) MEXT-affiliated institutions engaged in research
3) Colleges of technology
4) Institutions designated by the Minister of MEXT
Fields of the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences
3. Fellow Eligibility
(1) Master’s and doctoral students selected under the GRF Program and nominated to JSPS by NSF. (Postdoctoral researchers are not covered under this program.)
(2) Persons who have been accepted in advance by a Japanese host researcher.
* Overseas researchers who have already been selected under JSPS Postdoctoral Fellowship for Overseas Researchers (i.e., Standard, Pathway to University Position in Japan, Short-term for North American and European Researchers, Strategic Program) are not eligible for this program.
* JSPS does not introduce host researchers to candidates.