Teaching assistants in the chemistry department supervise and teach recitations and laboratories. It is necessary for teaching assistants to prepare for teaching labs and recitations. In addition, teaching assistants 1) grade recitation quizzes, lab reports, homework, and exams; 2) hold office hours; 3) attend weekly staff meetings; 4) proctor exams.
For consideration, candidates must possess the following qualifications:
- Strong communication skills
- At least one full year of college chemistry; preference will be given to candidates with more courses
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team
- Strong professional skills
- Must attend TA training from August 12th to August 21st (weekdays only); the training is 8 hours on each week day. If you can’t attend training for the full time, you cannot serve as a TA in chemistry.
- Must be available for teaching responsibilities for the entire semester – THROUGH the end of finals week.
- Attend training on weekdays from August 12th to August 21st
- Prepare for recitations and laboratories – this includes carefully learning material that you are unfamiliar with
- Teach laboratory and recitation sections
- Follow and enforce all safety rules in the laboratory
- Grade homework, lab reports, quizzes, and exams according to the directions provided by the course instructor
- Hold office hours in the general chemistry help center
- Proctor exams
- Attend weekly staff meetings
Deadline for Applications is July 1, 2015