Applicants must fulfills following issues for Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships in South Africa–
- The eligibility criteria listed below applies to applicants for Masters and Doctoral bursaries:
- Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships are open to South African citizens, South African permanent residents as well as a limited percentage of non-South African citizens registered at a South African public university.
- All applicants’ for full-time Masters or Doctoral studies in South Africa must be registered or, intending to register at a South African public university;
- Applicants that already hold a degree at the level for which they are applying for funding, are not eligible.
Areas of Support
The IBS supports students who wish to pursue their postgraduate studies in the fields listed below viz.:
• Cellular and Molecular Biology;
• Computer science;
• Mathematical Sciences;
• Earth Science;
• Medical sciences; and
• Social Sciences and Humanities
The following will be considered in evaluating all applications in a competitive merit review process:
- The applicant’s past, current and potential academic performance. This will be measured by the applicant’s:
- The potential of the applicant to undertake an independent Research Project;
- Leadership roles;
- Previous awards, prizes and honours; and
- The potential research outputs and impact.
- The feasibility and merit of the applicant’s Research Project proposal;
- Identification of a suitable supervisor and co-supervisor, where applicable;
- Support from the identified supervisor and referees.
No. Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships are targeted for South African citizens, South African permanent residents as well as a limited percentage of non-South African citizens registered at a South African public university.
The Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarships in South Africa will cover:
- Masters Scholarships R80 000 per annum
- Doctoral Scholarships R110 000 per annum
- In addition, Masters scholarship-holders may apply for a travel grant of up to R10 000 which can be used to attend local conferences, workshops, a visit to a laboratory or, Any other activity that supports the beneficiaries’ current research progression. This is the maximum amount allowed during the tenure of the scholarship.Doctoral scholarship-holders may apply for a travel grant of up to R15 000, for local travel, and up to R50 000, for international travel. These funds may be used to attend local conferences, workshops, visits to a laboratory or, Any other activity that supports the beneficiaries’ current research progression. These are the maximum amounts allowed during the tenure of the scholarship.
Scholarship-holders who wish to access the travel grant must complete a travel grant application form provided by their university Postgraduate office/research office for submission to, consideration and approval/disapproval by the NRF.
Applicants may apply by following the steps below:
- Applications must be submitted through an online application process to the NRF.
- Applicants must apply for the 2016 NRF Innovation Masters or Doctoral Scholarship
- Register / Login using your ID number and password.
- Go to “My Applications” and select “Create Application”.
- Select the call for which you are applying to viz. NRF– Innovation Masters and Doctoral Scholarship Call for 2016.
- Remember to complete all compulsory sections of the application as incomplete applications will not be considered for support by the NRF.
- Please attach the necessary documents in one PDF file in the following order: ID document, proof of permanent residence (if applicable) and certified academic transcripts. Should you not follow the guidelines for attaching the necessary documents, your application will not be considered.
- Remember to submit your application on completion.
- Complete applications will be directed to the host university for verification before being forwarded to the NRF for further processing. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the university has approved the application and forwarded it to the NRF.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications that do not meet the eligibility criteria will not be considered
- Please contact the university Postgraduate office or research office if you have Any queries.
- The closing date for submitting applications is 7 August 2015.
- Please take note of your institutions internal closing dates as these will be set before the actual call closing date.
Deadline: 7 August 2015
CLICK HERE for more