10 PhD Fellowships are awarded on the basis of academic excellence and research potential to local and international applicants undertaking a research doctoral degree. These fellowships are funded by RMIT University and also known as Vice-Chancellor’s PhD Scholarships, (VCPS).
The VCPS offer the following profit to recipients:
- a salary of $41,150 per year pro rata (full-time study) which represents a generous RMIT top up of approximately $15000 above the APA rate
- a research support allowance of $5,000 per year to support research activities
- a HDR publication award of $10000 (payable on thesis submission). Applicants must submit their thesis within 3.5 years (or equivalent part-time) to be eligible for award
- a relocation benefits for the cost of relocating in order to take up their postgraduate research program, up to $515 per adult and $255 per child to a maximum of $1,540
- paid maternity, sick, and parenting leave (within the limits of the fellowship Terms and Conditions).
For local applicants, a government-funded Research Training Scheme (RTS) place or equivalent. An RTS place is supported with a HECS exemption for the standard duration of the course. Candidates successful in receiving an RTS place are not required to pay tuition fees for the maximum duration of their candidature.
For international applicants, you will also receive:
- tuition fees for the duration of the fellowship
- the cost of an Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) policy for the standard duration of your program.
The duration of VCPS is 3 years full-time, with the possibility of a 6 months extension subject to satisfactory progress. This will be reduced by any periods of study undertaken towards an equivalent research degree prior to the commencement of the program at RMIT University.
To be considered for a VCPS scholarship applicants must hold:
- a Master degree by research
- a Master degree by coursework with a significant research part graded as high distinction, or equivalent
- a Honours degree achieving first class honours
- a four year bachelor degree achieving a GPA of 4 or equivalent (80% or above).
If applicant does not hold one of the above qualifications, you will only be considered for scholarship if you have previous publications or significant research experience. All other applicants will be considered ineligible.
In addition to the above, to be eligible for this scholarship you must:
- be an Australian Citizen, Citizen of New Zealand or Permanent Resident of Australia, or an international applicants who is commencing in an RMIT PhD program from 1 January 2017
- have applied for a fulltime PhD program at RMIT University.
Part-time VCPS may be accepted for candidates with exceptional circumstances (e.g. for medical reasons or due to significant care commitments). Part-time scholarships are not tax exempt. Please refer to the Scholarship Terms and Conditions for further details.
Key dates and how to apply
Closing date: OCTOBER
For information relating to fellowship opening rounds and to apply for fellowship, please refer to the instructions detailed on research scholarships.
For Further information
Visit the Research Scholarship Terms and Conditions (PDF 326KB 10p) for more information.
- Hobsons Coursefinder – a nation-wide postgraduate fellowship database
- For Other scholarships at RMIT
|Type of Positions||Doctoral|
|University||RMIT University, Australia|
|How to apply||How to apply for a research degree|
|Contact||+61 3 9925 5570