15 Early-Stage Researcher (ESR) 3-year PhD positions
At the Institutions across Europe in the SAGEX ITN network
RESEARCH FIELD: Mathematics, Geometry, Physics
RESEARCHER PROFILE: First Stage Researcher (R1)
DEADLINE: 14 July 2019.
HOURS PER WEEK: 35-40
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME: H2020 / Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions
MARIE CURIE GRANT AGREEMENT NUMBER: 764850
15 Early-Stage Researcher (PhD) positions are open to begin in 2018/19, as part of the Innovative Training Network of the European Commission SAGEX “Scattering Amplitudes: from Geometry to Experiment”. The positions will all last three years, and will allow all students to participate in an exciting program comprising international schools, workshops, and secondments at academic as well as industrial partners (see the overview of the project below).
Overview of the project and of the training offered to all Early Stage Researchers of SAGEX
Scattering amplitudes, describing the observations of high-energy collider experiments, provide a window into the fundamental structures predicted by relativistic quantum theories. By identifying and exploiting seemingly disparate concepts from abstract geometry, symbolic big data, and phenomenological calculations, the SAGEX network will train the next generation of researchers in the new tools, approaches, and insights that will make possible previously intractable analyses directly relevant to current and near-future particle physics experiments. Assembling an unprecedented team of top scholars in mathematics, theoretical physics, and symbolic computation with major industry partners including Wolfram Research, Maplesoft, and RISC GmbH, we intend to leverage our successes, expertise, and world-class scientific challenges to provide a unique training opportunity for Early Stage Researchers (ESRs) in Europe.
The positions will be hosted at the following institutions:
- Queen Mary University of London (QMUL): 2 PhD positions, ESR 1 and ESR 2
- Humboldt University Berlin (HU): 2 PhD positions, ESR 3 and ESR 4
- Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron (DESY): 2 PhD positions, ESR 5 and ESR 6
- Durham University (DU): 2 PhD positions, ESR 7 and ESR 8
- CEA Saclay (CEA): 2 PhD positions, ESR 9 and ESR 10
- Niels Bohr Institute (NBI): 2 PhD positions, ESR 11 and ESR 12
- Trinity College Dublin (TCD): 2 PhD positions, ESR 13 and ESR 14
- RISC Software GmbH/Research Institute for Symbolic Computation (RISC GmbH/RISC): 1 PhD position, ESR 15
The SAGEX consortium also includes academic partner organisations:
- University of Oxford
- ETH Zurich
- University of California, Los Angeles
- SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory (Stanford University)
- University of Hamburg;
plus private sector partners:
- Wolfram Research
- Danske Bank
- Mærsk Tankers
- Milde Marketing Science Communication
- Ekaterina Eremenko Films.
Interested applicants are strongly encouraged to contact the scientists in charge of the projects as soon as possible.
- At the time of appointment, applicants must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies) in the country for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately before their appointment;
- Shall also be in the first four years of their research careers at the time of appointment and have not been awarded a doctoral degree
|Organization||H2020-MSCA by European commission|
|Subject areas||Physics Maths|
|Deadline||14 July 2019.|