The Section for Meteorology and Oceanography (“MetOs”) within the Department of Geoscience at University of has two positions as Postdoctoral Research Fellows with a preferred starting date of 01.11.2020. The appointments are full-time positions and are made for a period of up to three years.
About the positions:
- Both postdocs will work on a project focused on understanding the effects of rough bottom topography on oceanic flows, including on the vertical structure of time-varying currents, the stability of currents and planetary waves, and the dynamics of bottom-intensifed waves.
- The project is being done in collaboration with scientists at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography of the University of California San Diego, at Florida State University and at the Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris (IPGP).
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in Oceanography, Atmospheric or Climate Science.
- The doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date.
- Only applicants with an approved doctoral thesis and public defense are eligible for appointment.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English are required
- A strong publication record in peer reviewed journals
- A strong background in mathematics and fluid dynamics (Fellowship 1)
- Prior experience running, developing and/or analysing output from numerical models, preferably general circulation models (Fellowship 2)
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and creatively, but also interest in collaborative research and team work
How to apply
Apply online and the application must include:
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates and academic transcripts
- A complete list of publications and up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
|Organization||University of Oslo|
|Subject areas||Oceanography, Atmospheric, Climate Science|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||30th September 2020|