50 Fulbright-Nehru Open Study/Research Awards – Fulbright U.S. Student Program by the The United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF)
Duration: 9 months.
Starting date: July through March.
- Non-Ph.D. grantees are required to attend a mandatory orientation in Delhi in August before the start of their grants.
- CLEA awardees first complete their intensive language training followed by the Fulbright-Nehru study/research grant.
Successful Grantees will be required to participate in a Pre-Departure Orientation in mid-June as a condition of their grants.
Conditions for Foreign Language Proficiency:
- Not Required
- English will suffice in most cases.
- A working knowledge of a modern Indian language may be required for some research projects.
Fulbright Proposal Types:
Independent Study/Research: Yes
Graduate Degree Enrollment: No
- According to the Government of India guidelines, each candidate is required to be affiliated with an
- Indian institution of higher education,
- Research/training institute,
- a think tank or
- Registered non-government organization (NGO), as required by the specific project proposed.
- The candidate will be guided or assisted by an academic supervisor from the affiliating institute/organization.
- Applicants are encouraged to identify appropriate host institutions for their projects and should include a letter of affiliation with their application or the details of their correspondence with potential host institutions a part of the Statement of Grant Purpose.
- The location of the host institution should be suitable for the field research site. The United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) will confirm the proposed affiliation and secure the formal document from the proposed host institution upon final selection for a Fulbright-Nehru grant.
- Projects are encouraged in all parts of India, not just the major population centers. Please pay attention to the Security Concerns section for any details concerning particular regions.
Research Clearance and Indian Visas: Clearance and a research visa from the Government of India are required for all Fulbright-Nehru assignments.
|Organization||The United States-India Educational Foundation (USIEF)|
|Fellowship Level||Phd or Masters or Bachelors|
|Country||India and USA|
|Subject areas||All Disciplines|
|Fellowship amount||As per the law|
|Eligibility||Varies according to the level applied|