ARL Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowships
ARL Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowships will provide the opportunity for recipients to pursue independent research of their own choosing that supports the mission of ARL. The Fellow benefits by having this opportunity and by working alongside some of the Nation’s best scientists and engineers.
The Army Research Laboratory invites exceptional young researchers to participate in this excitement as ARL Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellows.
- Applicants must have completed all the requirements for a Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree in the physical sciences, life sciences, computational sciences, behavioral sciences, or engineering.
- Applicants who intend to defend their dissertation after the application deadline are not eligible.
- As of the application deadline, applicants may not be more than five years beyond the award date of their Ph.D. or Sc.D.
- There are no citizenship requirements; however, selected fellows must successfully complete a Department of Defense clearance process, requiring a background security investigation.
- Foreign nationals must get further DoD approval, requiring a background investigation.
- Applicants must demonstrate exceptional qualifications with respect to academic and scholarly achievement, as evidenced by research and publication.
- Candidates are expected to have conducted research on a major scientific or engineering problem during their thesis work or have provided a new approach or insight evidenced by a recognized impact in their field.
- Stipend – $100,000
- Health insurance
- Paid relocation
- Professional travel allowance
- Research budget
- Awards are contingent upon the successful completion of a background security investigation.
- One-year appointments are renewable for up to three years based on performance.
- Fellows will be required to sign and abide by an appointment letter and an ARL IP agreement concerning discoveries, inventions, data, copyrights, and a disclaimer of liability.
Application materials / Documents
- Curriculum vitae (limit 10 pages)
- Statement of previous research, describing research accomplishments and impact
- Proposal describing research that will be conducted at ARL articulating the rationale-approach and expected needs
- Ph.D. or Sc.D. transcript
- Letters of recommendation from four references
Finalists will be asked to present a seminar at the Army Research Laboratory.
March 15 – Application opens
May 31 – Application deadline (5 PM Eastern Standard Time)
June – Technical review
July – Stature review
End of July – Candidates notified of status
|Organization||The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine|
|Subject areas||Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, Computational Sciences, Behavioral Sciences, Engineering|
|Fellowship||As per norms|
|Eligibility||PhD. in relevant subject|