Brain Physics/Computational Neuroscience- PhD Research fellow position is available at The Department of Physics. The position is supported by the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences as part of the Research Council of Norway’s Digital Life project “DigiBrain”.
The fellowship will be for a period of 4 years, if the candidate has a good knowledge of one Scandinavian language (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish), with 25 % compulsory work (teaching responsibilities at the Department of Physics). Without knowledge of language, the fellowship will be for a period of 3 years, with no compulsory work.
The project shall start no later than October 2016.
About the project:
The candidate will work on model-based exploration of cortical neuron and neural network models, in particular effects of genetic variants on the function of ion channels. Results from the modeling work will be compared with in-house experimental recordings from mouse visual cortex done in the laboratory of Marianne Fyhn at Department of Biosciences at UiO.
Requirements & Qualifications:
- Applicants must be in the upper segment of the class with respect to academic credentials.
- Applicants must hold Master’s degree in physics with a Master thesis within the field of computational neuroscience/brain physics.
- Applicants must show strong skills in developing codes for scientific computing.
- Purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a doctoral degree.
- This fellowship will be required to take admission to the doctoral program at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences.
- Application to the doctoral program must be submitted to the department no later than two months after taking up the position.
- Proficiency of English must be good.
- Pay grade: 50 – 57 (NOK 430 500 – 483 700 per year); Position code 1017
- Description of scientific interests and motivation for applying for the position (max. 2 pages)
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of educational certificates
- Grade transcript
- Letters of recommendation
- Documentation of English proficiency
- Names and contact details of references (2-3)
|Organization||University of Oslo|
Physics, Neurosciences, Natural Science, Biosciences
|Fellowship amount||Mentioned above|
|Eligibility||Open for international applicants|
|Deadline||13 June 2016|