The Department of Computer Science, Faculty of Science at University of Helsinki invites applications for a Doctoral Student in Genome-Scale Algorithmics.
About the position:
- The position is available in the team of Professor Veli Mäkinen in the areas of discrete algorithms, data structures, and computational biology.
- The position is funded by the Innovative Training Network (ITN) project “Algorithms for PAngenome Computational Analysis (ALPACA)” of the Horizon 2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie (MSC) Work Programme.
- The candidate will join the Genome-Scale Algorithmics team of Professor Mäkinen, with strong links to the broad Algorithmic Bioinformatics community in Helsinki.
- The ideal candidate has a strong background in discrete algorithms and data structures, and motivation to develop and apply algorithms in the context of bioinformatics.
- The following constitute an advantage, but are not required: Experience in implementing efficient code; Experience with handling high-throughput DNA sequencing data; Achievements at international programming contests such as IOI or ACM ICPC; Previous research experience and publications.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are needed
- Applicants should have an MSc degree in computer science, bioinformatics or a related field.
- Applicants should satisfy the requirements of an Early Stage Researcher as defined by the MSC Work Programme: 1) On the starting date of employment with the University of Helsinki, candidate must be in the first four years of research career and have not (yet) been awarded a doctoral degree; 2) applicant must not have resided and/or have had main activity (study, work, etc.) in Finland for more than 12 months during the 3 years prior to the starting date of your anticipated employment with the University of Helsinki.
How to apply:
Apply online and the application shall include the following attachments as a single pdf file (in English):
- CV with possible publications
- Cover letter describing motivation, research interests, and declaration of satisfying the MSC Work Programme requirements for an Early Stage Researcher
- Contact details of two potential referees who agreed to provide letters of recommendation
|Organization||University of Helsinki|
|Subject areas||Computer Science, Bioinformatics|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||February 15, 2021|