Feedback System (Optical) has an open PhD position in the Department of Biomedical Engineering (DBE). The department has recently been awarded a Flagship project from the Werner Siemens Foundation. The successful doctoral candidate will be engaged with an interdisciplinary team of biomedical engineers, mechatronics engineers, computer scientists, physicists, and medical doctors. Candidate will be able to contribute to the development of a disruptive technology in robotic surgery.
Feedback System (Optical) project Description:
- Student will be developing an optical sensor that alter high power laser into a smart medical laser.
- In order to develop this sensor, investigations on how to identify bone and tissue during laser cutting by using optical means will be done.
- Goal is to fabricate optical sensor that helps the medical laser to have high sensitivity in laser cutting which can avoid cutting important and critical tissues.
- Master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering/Electrical Engineering/Optical Engineering, Physics or related fields.
- Exceptional Master’s and Bachelor’s grades.
- Skills to assemble optical, electrical and mechanical instruments.
- Knowledge of programming languages (e.g. C++, MATLAB or Labview)
- Knowledge in optical spectroscopy or imaging (e.g. fluorescence, Raman or LIBS) is desirable.
- Understanding in fiber optics design is a plus.
- Knowledge in tissue optics will be advantage.
- Candidates are expected to have excellent language skills in English.
- Candidates shall submit their documents electronically as a single *pdf file by email with the subject «PhD Student Application: Optical Feedback System».
- The document should include: letter of motivation, CV with publication list and other academic information, grade transcripts, TOEFL and/or IETLS scores (if available) and three references with full address/phone number/email
This project provides opportunity to work in a highly innovative project with up to 30 researchers. It will also provide enrollment in an established 3-4 years PhD program in Biomedical Engineering.
University of Basel (Department of Biomedical Engineering ,DBE)
Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Physics
|Deadline||13th May 2016|
Contact: Prof. Dr. Azhar Zam
For Further Details: Click