The Department of Biochemistry at University of Cambridge is inviting applications for Four-year PhD Programme. The department is a member of the School of the Biological Sciences and one of the largest departments in the University of Cambridge. The Department is especially strong in research with investigators of international standing in a wide range of disciplines including structural biology, molecular enzymology, cell signalling and control of gene expression, molecular microbiology, plant molecular biology and bioenergy, cancer and cardiovascular biology.
About the position:
- Students awarded places on the programme will join a specific research group from the outset and undertake a research project agreed with the principal investigator.
- All students will have the opportunity to undertake a PIPS (Professional Internship for PhD students) of 3 months.
- All students will receive a tailored career development programme designed to broaden their research and professional skills and the opportunity to participate in training and cohort building events with BBSRC and other students.
- In addition to a direct supervisor, each PhD student will have an advisor and a postgraduate thesis panel comprising three members of faculty, two of which are chosen by the student. Our PhD programmes offer many opportunities for both specialised training and the acquisition of transferable skills.
- Applicants should have or shortly expect to obtain a minimum of a UK II.i Honours Degree (or equivalent) in Biochemistry or a related subject.
- Applicant must be highly motivated, enthusiastic and industrious individuals who are capable of thinking and working independently. The studentships are available to students who meet the UK residency requirements.
- Identify one or more labs which might interest candidate, then make informal contact with the PI(s) to ensure they are potentially able to supervise, and to understand the research project he/she would undertake.
- When making contact with the PI, please e-mail the following information to them: 1. CV (max two A4 pages), with full contact details of 2 academic referees. 2. A covering letter (max two A4 pages) highlighting (a) research interests, (b) what candidate hope to achieve from the programme, (c) career aspirations beyond the programme, and (d) why he/she wish to undertake this programme in the Department of Biochemistry.
|Organization||University of Cambridge|
|Fellowship amount||stipend of £18,500 fir four years|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||22nd January 2021|