The Department of Biosciences (IBV), Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences at University of Oslo are inviting applications for a PhD Research Fellow position in bioinformatics. The fellowship will be for a period of 3 years, with no compulsory work or for a period of 4 years, with 25% compulsory work. The position will commence no later than 01.10.2020.
About the position:
- This is a fully funded PhD Research fellowship is available at the Section for Genetics and Evolutionary Biology (EVOGENE).
- The position will also be associated with the newly established Centre for Bioinformatics and the UiO:Life Science initiative at the University of Oslo.
- The successful candidate will work on development of computational models and tools to understand epigenetic genome regulation, with a particular focus on the three-dimensional (3D) organization of the genome.
- The work will be carried out in a cross-disciplinary environment in close collaboration with evolutionary biologists, biostatisticians, and other bioinformaticians. The candidate is expected to draw on the expertises both within the Department and the Centre for Bioinformatics.
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree or equivalent in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Informatics, Biostatistics or a related field. A Foreign completed degree (M.Sc.-level) corresponding to a minimum of four years in the Norwegian educational system
- Proficiency in programming (preferably Python and/or C++)
- Proficiency in UNIX/Linux and Bash/Shell scripting
- Knowledge of statistical data analysis and/or machine learning, including the use of R
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with (or interest in) analysis of genomics data sets, including data from high-throughput sequencing techniques
- Knowledge (or interest) in molecular/cellular biology and evolution
- Candidates without a Master’s degree have until 30 June, 2020 to complete the final exam.
How to apply:
Apply online and the application must include:
- Cover letter – statement of motivation and research interests
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work – scientific publications)
- Copies of the original Bachelor and Master’s degree diploma, transcripts of records and letters of recommendation
- Documentation of English proficiency
- List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
|Organization||University of Oslo|
|Subject areas||Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Informatics, Biostatistics|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||29th February 2020|