Geosciences Department has position as PhD Research Fellow at University of Oslo, Norway. The fellowship is for a period of 3 years.
The objectives of this project are to model the complex mechanics of rupture and friction in rocks, including the effect of fluids. The present position involves state-of-the-art experiments and numerical models to study the couplings between fluids, rock transformation, and deformation at the core sample scale. Such topic has societal applications in the domains of geo-resources (geothermy, oil & gas, CO2 sequestration), and geo-hazards (earthquakes, landslides). The successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in international research networks. The position is funded by the Norwegian Research Council.
Department of Geosciences; Requirements & Qualifications:
- Applicants must hold a Master degree or equivalent in Earth Sciences or Physics with experience on geological processes, such as: Structural geology, Rock physics, Mechanics of fracture and friction, solid mechanics, Fluid dynamics
- The position requires a strong background and interest in both: Laboratory experiments, Friction and faulting, Flow in porous media
- Priority will be given to candidates with multidisciplinary experience, including fieldwork, laboratory, and numerics.
- Good communication and collaboration skills and an ability to join interdisciplinary academic communities
- A good command of English is required.
The fellowship requires admission to the PhD program at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. The application to the PhD program must be submitted to the department.
The application must include:
- Application letter
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work – scientific publications)
- Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- Copy of master thesis
- List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
- Note: Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
|Organization||University of Oslo|
|Subject areas||Earth Sciences, Physics|
|Fellowship amount||(NOK 430 500 – 483 700 per year)|
|Deadline||31 May 2016|
For Further Details: Click