The Icelandic Ministry of Education, Science and Culture every year awards a number of scholarships for studies in Iceland as a second language at the University of Iceland. The scholarship program is managed by the Árni Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies.
Number of scholarships: Approx. 15 scholarships
Duration: September 1st 2019 to April 30th 2020
- The scholarships are intended for students of modern Icelandic.
- Applicant must have completed at least one year of University study.
- Applicant must also have prior knowledge of Icelandic according to the requirements for BA study in Icelandic as a second language.
- Applicant must be under 35 years of age.
Nationals of the following countries are eligible:
- Czech Republic
- Faeroe Islands
- United Kingdom
- The scholarship covers registration fees at the University
- monthly stipend of approximately ISK 130.000 (that covers room and board for one person, payable at the beginning of each month, September to April)
- A room will be available for rent in one of the University dormitory, Gamli Garður.
How to apply
- Applicants from above mentioned countries, with exception of students from USA and Canada, may apply directly to the Árni Magnússon Institute for Icelandic Studies, Sigurður Nordal Office, Þingholtsstræti 29, Box 1220, 121 Reykjavík, Iceland.
- Application to be made on prescribed application form (can be downloaded from the website)
- Application must include the following documents: CV, university grade transcripts, 2 letters of recommendation, language certificate (English and/or Icelandic)
|Organization||University of Iceland|
|Subject areas||All disciplines|
|Fellowship amount||ISK 130.000/month|
|Eligibility||Open to selected countries|
|Deadline||01 December 2019|