JFUNU Science Scholarships: Japan: JFUNU Science Scholarships: Japan
The United Nations University has its headquarters in Japan. It is now accepting applications from applicants of Developing Countries in the field of Sustainability Science.
Developing countries included in the latest OECD DAC list.
Duration of the program: 3 years
Level of study: PhD
Subject Area: Sustainability Science
Nationality: The scholarship is open for the applicants who are from developing countries and can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- A monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY for living expenses for a maximum of 36 months.
- Unique opportunities to interact with leading scholars and policymakers through lectures, international conferences, and workshops.
- However, travel costs to and from Japan, visa handling fees, and health/accident insurance costs must be covered by the student.
- The tuition fees would be fully waived off.
- The applicants must demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- The candidates who are currently living in Japan under a working visa are not eligible for the scholarship.
- Applicants who want to pursue a second Ph.D. degree at UNU-IAS are not eligible for the scholarship.
- The candidate must display a strong interest in sustainability studies;
- A demonstrated commitment to study and understand the global issues;
- The applying candidate should have a Master’s degree in disciplines related to sustainability studies;
- The applicant must have a minimum of two years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes which should have been acquired after obtaining a university degree
- 2 completed Master’s degrees, at least 1 of which must be in a discipline related to sustainability studies;
- Those who expect to receive a second Master’s degree before the entrance period – September 2019 – may also apply.
- The candidate must have a GPA of 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned
Proficiency in English:
- The minimum score requirements for English language qualifications required by UNU-IAS are as follows:
- 600 on TOEFL – Paper-Based Testing (PBT) OR
- 100 on TOEFL – Internet-Based Testing (IBT) OR
- 7.0 on IELTS – Academic format
- Applicants, except for the cases below, must submit original TOEFL or IELTS score reports (from a test taken within the last 2 years) to the Admissions Office at the time of application:
- Applicants whose native language is English.
- Applicants who graduated from a university or a postgraduate school located in an English-speaking country.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme where the language of instruction and examination was English. In this case, an official statement from the academic institution will be required, confirming the use of English as the language of instruction and examination.
How to apply: Application is online. The candidate must submit an online application through the given link: http://postgraduate.ias.unu.edu/forms/
- There is no separate application form for the scholarship as it is a part of the online application for admission.
- Interested applicants must provide the necessary information and documents for the scholarship together with the required documents for admission to the Ph.D. degree program.
Application Deadline: Varies
|Organization||United Nations University (UNU)|
|Subject Areas||Sustainability Science|
|Fellowship Amount||Illustrated above|
|Eligibility||Open for developing Countries|