The Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS) aims to attract the best brain from around the world to pursue advanced academic studies in Malaysia. It is an initiative by the Malaysian Government.
This Malaysia International Scholarship aims to support Malaysian Government’s effort to attract, talented and motivate candidate worldwide with excellent academic records and outstanding co-curricular backgrounds are welcomed to apply for this Malaysia International Scholarship and further their studies in any selected and well-established Malaysian public and private universities in Malaysia.
This Malaysia International Scholarship is divided into two categories of study:
Postgraduate Studies and Post-doctoral Studies
To be eligible for Malaysia International Scholarship (MIS), candidates must fit the following criteria:-
- Obtained a minimum of Second Class Upper (Honours) or a CGPA of 3.5/4.0 at Bachelor Degree Level for Master’s Degree applicants and for PhD candidates must possess CGPA 3.5/4.0 or very good result at Master’s degree level in a similar field of intended PhD study.
- In addition, for post-doctoral programme, the selection will be evaluated based on the number of books produced, refereed/non refereed journals, portfolio and patent copyright.
- The Post-Doctoral candidate must have excellent reputation in research and possesses knowledge related to the research to be carried out.
- Wrote a proposal that is relevant to the needs and interests of Malaysia (research-based programme only)
- Not be more than 45 years of age during application.
- Took one of the following English Language Proficiency Test not more than two years before the date of application. The list of tests and minimum scores required:
- TOEFL paper-based test with a score of at least 580 or computer-based test with a score of at least 230 or internet-based test with a score at least 92.
- IELTS Academic Test with a score of at least 6.5; or
- In excellent health condition and certified by a Certified Doctor/Medical Professional. The cost of medical examination is to be borne by the applicants
- Has applied for and gained admission to postgraduate and post-doctoral studies in Malaysia (conditional letters of offer will be accepted at the time of application or has a confirmation of acceptance or affiliation with the universities in Malaysia).
Malaysia International Scholarship consists of:-
- An approved tuition fees
- Monthly maintenance allowance
- Air tickets from recipient’s capital city to Malaysia
- Annual grant for books and internal travel
- Installation and Termination grant
- Medical / Health Insurance
- Thesis allowance (will be paid at the beginning of research (after proposal defense) and the balance will be paid only upon submission of the thesis) – For PhD and Post-Doctoral only
- A conference travel grant and journal publication grant (PhD and Post-Doctoral only)
The Government of Malaysia reserves the rights to review the value and benefits of scholarship at any time.
Malaysia International Scholarship is open to all subjects but priority study areas are:
- Science and Engineering
- Information and Communication Technology
- Agriculture and Fisheries
- Economics and Islamic Finance
- Infrastructure and Utility
- Biosecurity and Food Safety
- Health not including nursing, medicine, clinical pharmacy.
- Environmental Studies
* Candidates may choose any related course within the areas/ field mentioned above
Mode of selection:
- High-level academic achievement
- Excellent communication, writing and reading skills in English Language
- The quality of the research proposal and its potential contribution towards advancement of technology and human well-being.
- Malaysia International Scholarship holder must undertake full-time studies for postgraduate and post-doctoral studies at a campus of Malaysian Universities.
- Scholarship holders must follow the approved programmes and abide by the university’s rules, regulations and codes of conduct.
- Any suspension from the university will result in immediate suspension of award. Monthly allowances are not payable during suspension, including suspension due to illness.
- It is the responsibility of the scholarship holders to confirm admission to the university.
- Scholarship holders must not change their programme during tenure of the scholarship except with written permission from their university and the Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia.
- Scholarship holders must maintain satisfactory progress and good standing as stipulated by their host university and degree programme, or the scholarship will be withdrawn.
- It is the responsibility of successful candidates to apply for and meet the requirements for the issuing of an appropriate entry visa including medical examination.
- The offer of the scholarship does not guarantee the granting of a visa.
- Scholarship holders are not allowed to take any paid employment during their tenure unless with written approval from the host university.
The scholarships are tenable in Malaysian universities and research must be carried out in Malaysia.
All candidates should apply ONLINE through Ministry of Higher Education’s portal.
- REGISTER your Passport Number or National Identification Number, email address.
- LOGIN to online application form at Ministry of Higher Education’s portal and fill in all section completely.
- Please ensure all information is correct before you print the application and logout.
Kindly attach printed application form together with the following documents:
- Recent passport size photograph.
- A certified copy of current passport showing evidence of citizenship.
- Completed Medical Report.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- A certified copy of academic transcript, testimonials and/or references relating to the relevant study, co-curriculum activities, achievements.
- A clear and precise study or research plan
- A certified copy of English Language proficiency certificate (Test of English as a Foreign Language/TOEFL or International English Language Testing Service/IELTS
- Admission letter from Malaysian University.
- Two letters of recommendation from two (2) people who can act as referees to support your application.
- Endorsement Form.
- Candidates are required to complete the two Letters of Recommendation from two referees, Endorsement Form and Medical Report.
- Please bring printed ONLINE application form and required documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or the relevant agency responsible for the MIS scholarship in your country to get the endorsement.STEP 3
- Scan all documents stated above in PDF format and LOGIN to MIS Online Application. [How to convert documents to PDF format]
- You are required to attach the documents and click SUBMIT button to submit the application. You will see the notification message when the process is done.
- All the application is fully online.
- No hard copy is required. Bring the hard copy of application form and original certificate during the interview session.
For further enquirers, please contact us:
(FOR THE LAST DATE AND ONLINE PORTAL PLEASE WRITE TO SCHOLARSHIP DIVISION)
MINISTRY OF EDUCATION MALAYSIA
LEVEL 2, NO 2, TOWER 2
JALAN P5/6, PRECINT 5
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATIVE CENTRE
Phone : +603 8870 6000 (click here for extension)
Note: applicants with self-funding or sponsorship by other external organizations may apply any time.
|Organization||Ministry of Higher Education|
|Fellowship Level||Master’s, PhD, Postdoctoral|
Science, Engineering, Agriculture, IT, Biotechnology, Environmental Sciences
|Fellowship amount||Monthly allowance, tuition-fees with other benefits|
|Eligibility||Open for all nationalities|
- Name of Organisation Field Value