The International Max Planck Research School “Leipzig School of Human Origins” seeks PhD candidates interested in working with the research groups at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (MPI EVA) or Leipzig University (LU). The following research groups/departments are offering PhD positions:
- Archaeogenetics, MPI-EVA (Director: Prof. Johannes Krause)
- Comparative Cultural Psychology, MPI EVA (Director: Prof. Daniel Haun)
- Evolutionary Genetics, MPI-EVA (Director: Prof. Svante Pääbo)
- Human Behavior, Ecology and Culture, MPI EVA (Director: Prof. Richard McElreath)
- Linguistic and Cultural Evolution, MPI-EVA (Director: Prof. Russell Gray)
- Max Planck Research Group BirthRites – Cultures of Reproduction, MPI-EVA (Group leader: Dr. Heidi Colleran)
- Lise Meitner Group Technological Primates, MPI-EVA (Group leader: Dr. Lydia Luncz)
- Behavioral Ecology, LU (Director: Prof. Anja Widdig)
- Applications are open from all countries.
- Applicant must hold a Master’s degree or an equivalent degree. This could be a German Diploma, MSc/MA or other degrees that include four or more years of academic training including an extensive original research project and a written thesis in Anthropology, Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Evolutionary Genetics, Linguistics, Primatology, Psychology, Statistics, Zoology or related fields.
- It is not necessary to hold the degree at the point of application. However, candidate must have been awarded the degree prior to the start of the program in September 2021.
- Applicants with a BSc/BA degree are not eligible to apply even if his/her undergraduate program comprises four years of academic training and a written thesis.
- Applicants need to be fluent in written and spoken English. German language skills are not required but international students will be offered opportunities to take German language courses.
How to apply:
Apply online and upload the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) and statement of purpose (i.e. research proposal, appr. 500 words)
- transcripts and degree documents
- other documents that are considered important within the context of application
- At least two recommendation letters
|Organization||Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology (MPI EVA)|
Anthropology, Biology, Biochemistry, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Evolutionary Genetics, Linguistics, Primatology, Psychology, Statistics, Zoology
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||December 16, 2020|