Two PhD fellowship Positions in Lanthanide Solution Chemistry, Nano-Science Cente, Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen
Duration: The positions are in the Integrated MSc and PhD Scheme 3+5.
Group: The positions are in the group of Thomas Just Sørensen, Nano-Science Center and Department of Chemistry, University of Copenhagen.
Fellowships within two projects are offered. Each candidate should clearly indicate which project they apply for.
- Total scattering on lanthanide containing systems: The candidate will work on correlating structural data from solution scattering experiments with electronic structure information from optical spectroscopy for better understanding of coordination chemistry of lanthanide ions. The project will involve physical inorganic chemistry, x-ray scattering and spectroscopy.
- Designing new ligands for lanthanide ions: The candidate will work on making new tailored ligands for trivalent lanthanide ions with specific applications in mind. The project will involve primarily organic synthesis, supported by coordination chemistry and spectroscopy.
Associate Professor Thomas Just Sørensen
The position is available for a 4/5-year period and your key tasks as a PhD student at SCIENCE are:
- To manage and carry through your research project
- Attend courses
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Teach and disseminate your research
- To stay at an external research institution for a few months, most likely in Oxford, Boston, Durham or Berkeley
- Work for the department
Qualifications / Formal requirements
- Applicants should hold a BA degree in chemistry with good results
- Good English skills.
- As criteria for the assessment of your qualifications, emphasis will also be laid on statements from project supervisors and relevant work experience.
Place and Terms of Employment
The positions are in the Integrated MSc and PhD Scheme 3+5
The position is primarily available for candidates who are (or are eligible to be) enrolled at one of the faculty’s master programmes in chemistry or nanoscience. The duration of the integrated programme depends on the amount of credits that you have passed on your MSc programme. For further information about the study programme please see: www.science.ku.dk/phd, “Study Structures”.
Scholarship and terms of employment for integrated MSc and PhD
Fellowship: Salary in accordance with the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional
- Motivation letter including a description what it is that drives you to pursue a PhD degree
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project you are applying for, detailing your motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project, and including full contact details for 2-4 referees who will support your application and who we may contact if relevant
- Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc/BA/MChem or equivalent)
- Acceptance Letter for the relevant MSc Programme at SCIENCE, if relevant
- Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications
Applications received after the deadline for applications will not be considered.
|Organization||University of Copenhagen|
|Subject areas||Chemistry, Nanotechnology|
|Eligibility||Open for all nationalities|