Newton International Fellowship scheme focuses on early career international researchers. The objectives of this scheme are as follows:
- To support the development and training of postdoctoral researchers at an early stage of their career from any country outside the UK, for two years.
- To ensure the best postdoctoral researchers across all relevant disciplines from around the world are supported in the UK.
- To foster long-term relations between Newton International Fellows and the UK research base through the establishment of an alumni program for former Fellows of this Scheme.
- The alumni program includes the possible provision of further funding for Newton International Fellows for follow-on activities, to enable links with UK-based researchers to be maintained and developed.
Research must be within the Royal Society’s remit of natural sciences, which includes but is not limited to chemistry, engineering, biological research, mathematics, and physics. For a full list, please check the guidance page.
If there is any doubt about the eligibility of a project, contact the Grants team at email@example.com
The approximate number of Fellowships offered: 25
- Funding will consist of: £24,000 per annum for subsistence costs (tax-exempt)
- up to £8,000 per annum for consumables
- a one-off payment of up to £3,500 for relocation expenses in year one only
- contribution towards the cost of dependents’ (partner and children only) visas required to relocate to the UK
- a contribution will also be made to enable the UK host institution to host a Fellowship; this will be equal to 50% of the award (excluding the additional funding for dependents’ visas).
This scheme is open to applications
This scheme is currently open to applications and will close at 3 pm on Wednesday 16 June 2021.
How to apply: