The Faculty of Science & Technology at University of Twente is seeking motivated and skilled PhD and postdoctoral researchers to work on the physics of XUV optics. This optics basically consists of optical stacks of films of nanoscale thickness and come in reflective and transmissive types. The physics and chemistry of these thin film systems need to be controlled with atomic precision.
About the research:
- The aim of the research group is to develop the physics solutions for these tasks, such that new applications can be realized.
- These range from multi-layered optics engineered to show near-theoretical XUV reflectivity, to highly transparent, few tens of nanometer thin membranes which are robust enough to withstand high XUV power levels.
- The tasks include the fine-tuning of complex optical indices by altering electronic structures, the reduction of layer roughness levels to a tenth of a nanometer, the control of thin film stresses to below a GPa, and the limitation of thermally and chemically induced diffusion processes.
- These processes require new types of diagnostics with adequate resolution to film thickness and high sensitivity to chemical state.
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree in Solid State or Surface Physics, Materials Science, Physical Chemistry or Engineering, or a related field.
- Applicant must have affinity with the realization of physical or chemical depositions of nanoscale thin films (MEMS, CMOS or related) and their optical, structural, and mechanical analysis.
- Applicant must be an excellent team player in an enthusiastic group of scientists and engineers working on a common theme.
- Applicant must be fluent in English and able to collaborate intensively with industrial and academic parties in regular meetings and work visits.
Apply online and application should include the following:
- Application/motivation letter emphasizing specific interest and motivation
- Detailed CV
- Publication list
- Contact details of referees
- Academic transcript of B.Sc. and M.Sc. education
|Organization||University of Twente|
Solid State, Surface Physics, Materials Science, Physical Chemistry, Engineering
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|