The Department of Informatics at University of Oslo (UiO) has a position open as PhD Research Fellow in Natural Language Processing in the Language Technology Group (LTG) within the Section for Machine Learning. The fellowship period is for 3 years. This specific PhD project will target entity detection and sentiment analysis on the basis of news texts. The project will consider ways to aggregate sentiment analysis over time for detected entities (e.g. companies, organizations, persons, etc.) across mentions and documents. While the work will initially focus on English, it will increasingly also focus on Norwegian as annotated data becomes available.
- Applicants must hold a Master’s degree or equivalent in Natural Language Processing or in Computer Science with a specialization in NLP.
- Foreign completed degree (M.Sc.-level) corresponding to a minimum of four years in the Norwegian educational system.
- Previous experience with machine learning-based approaches to NLP is required.
- The candidate must be able to demonstrate broad knowledge of core NLP tasks, like tagging, parsing, named entity recognition, etc.
- Previous experience with neural approaches in particular will be an advantage.
- Working knowledge of Norwegian (or some other Scandinavian language) is recommended, as the project will mainly work on Norwegian text. Though not required, prior working knowledge of Norwegian (or some other Scandinavian language) will be an advantage, as the project will mainly target Norwegian text
How to apply:
Apply online and the application must include:
- Cover letter – statement of motivation and research interests
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work – scientific publications)
- Copies of the original Bachelor and Master’s degree diploma and transcripts of records and letters of recommendation
- Documentation of English proficiency
- List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
|Organization||University of Oslo (UiO)|
|Subject areas||Computer Science|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||2nd May 2021|