PhD Fellowships – Nanomaterials Science – Utrecht University
Two PhD positions in first-principles modelling of topological materials or exciton physics/theoretical spectroscopy at the Debye Institute for Nanomaterials Science at Utrecht University.
We invite applications for two PhD positions in first-principles modelling of topological materials or exciton physics/theoretical spectroscopy.
The research program will be carried out in the team of Associate Professor Zeila Zanolli, at the Condensed Matter and Interfaces Group at the Debye Institute for Nanomaterials Science.
The research concerns the use and development of advanced first-principles (ab initio) techniques to model nanoscale materials, with special focus on topological materials and applications in nanoelectronic and spintronic devices. The investigation of the electronic and magnetic properties is performed using ground state and beyond ground-state (GW approximation, Bethe-Salpeter equation) Density Functional Theory techniques. Non-Equilibrium Green’s Function is used to model time dependent phenomena, such as quantum transport and time-dependent photoluminescence. The investigated systems include 2D layered materials (graphene, transition metal dichalcodenides), heterostructures, interfaces, and hybrid materials.
As a successful candidate, should posses:
- Master’s degree in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science, or a related field;
- strong programming skills (Fortran, Python, parallel computing);
- solid background in computational/theoretical material science;
- previous experience in using electronic structure theory and methods is an advantage;
- ability to work independently and productively;
- excellent writing and oral communication skills in English;
- motivation to work in an ambitious, multidisciplinary and international research team.
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives. If you have the expertise and the experience to excel in this role, please respond via the “Apply now” button!
Documents Required – Please enclose:
- · a letter of motivation describing the reasons for your interest in the position; clearly indicate in the beginning of your letter to which of the positions advertised you are applying;
- · your curriculum vitae;
- · the list of exams with grades;
- · two reference letters;
- · your date of availability.
|Subject areas||Physics, Chemistry, Material Science|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|