We have a vacancy for 2 PhD positions at The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.
- As part of the NFR project “Improving Performance in Real Sea”, we have vacancies for two 3-year PhD positions at the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Optionally, one of the PhD positions can receive a 4-year contract in order to take over teaching duties in courses taught by the Marine Civil Engineering group.
- In order to reduce the climate footprint of the maritime transport sector, a major improvement is required in the form of reduced energy requirements and increased efficiency at sea.
- This can be achieved through improved design and production of sea-going vessels.
- When vessels operate under real sea conditions with effects of wind and waves, the emissions are higher due to assumption of calm water conditions in the design phase.
- With the advances in computational methods and computational power, high-resolution numerical simulations can be carried out to overcome the limitations of the current standards of practice.
- The proposed project will develop high resolution tools and couple high resolution modelling with efficient wave modelling to evaluate the added resistance problem in realistic sea states in more detail.
- The numerical model used for those activities is the open-source hydrodynamics framework REEF3D (reef3d.com).
- The model is developed in-house and the candidates will be a members of the research team.
- The computational fluid dynamics model REEF3D::CFD and the fully nonlinear potential flow model REEF3D::FNPF will be used within the area of ship hydrodynamics and further developed by the PhD candidates.
- The PhD-position’s main objective is to qualify for work in research positions.
- The qualification requirement is that you have completed a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in wave and ship hydrodynamics, computational fluid dynamics and numerical methods or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale.
- If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic foundation.
- If you are unable to meet these criteria you may be considered only if you can document that you are particularly suitable for education leading to a PhD degree.
- The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
How to Apply
Interested candidates may log into the link given in in Stem website
- If you have any questions about the position, please contact Associate Professor Hans Bihs, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact Senior Executive Officer HR Hege Johansen, e-mail: email@example.com.
|Type of position||Doctoral|
|Subject areas||Environmental Engineering|
- Total Jobs 14 Jobs
- Address Norway