PhD position in Organic Chemistry, Université Libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
RESEARCHER PROFILE: First Stage Researcher (R1)
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME: H2020 / ERC
The Engineering of Molecular NanoSystems laboratory of the Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB) offers a doctoral fellowship (four years) for a highly motivated chemist to work on the synthesis and development of supramolecular receptors for nucleotides.
This fellowship is offered in the context of a project for excellent research funded by the European Research Council (ERC) aimed at the development of molecular transmembrane transporters for phosphorylated biomolecules.
The aim of the project is to develop synthetic anion receptors that are able to bind biologically relevant phosphorylated compounds, such as nucleotides. In the next stage of the project, the ability of these receptors to transport phosphates and nucleotides across membranes will be investigated.
The successful applicant will form a team with a post-doctoral researcher to work together on the synthesis of receptors for phosphoryl groups and nucleotides. This involves the preparation of building blocks and their subsequent assembly into receptors using a Dynamic Combinatorial Chemistry approach. The methodology for this approach will be developed. The interactions between the synthesised receptors and phosphorylated guests will be investigated using various physicochemical methods including NMR, microcalorimetry, and optical spectroscopy. The ability of these receptors to function as transporters will be investigated, using large unilamellar vesicles and model systems.
REQUIRED EDUCATION LEVEL
Chemistry: Master Degree or equivalent
- Experience in synthetic organic chemistry research
- Experience in the structural characterisation of organic compounds by NMR spectroscopy
- Familiar with the concepts of Supramolecular Chemistry
- An excellent Master thesis
- Highly motivated
- Keen to learn
- Team worker
- Able to analyse problems and think critically
- Creativity and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication skills in English
Experience in the following is an asset:
- Development of robust synthetic protocols for the preparation of new compounds
- High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 03/11/2018
|Organization||Université libre de Bruxelles|
|Eligibility||Open to all Nationalities|