The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant PhD position related to investigations of a unique line of goats that lack the prion protein. The PhD position is for a period of 3 years and linked to the EU-funded research project Rumigen (Ruminant breeding through genomic and epigenomic approaches). The position is at the Biochemistry Unit at the Department of Preclinical Sciences and Pathology.
- Carry out Prnp genetic analyses of the goat herd at the Livestock Production Research Centre at Ås and selected commercial herds.
- Compare production traits in normal goats with those observed in goats without or with reduced levels of PrP.
- Develop and conduct investigations at the morphological (light-microscopic and ultrstructural) and molecular (in situ hybridization) level, for instance of the HPG axis and/or cerebellum in goats with and without PrP
- Write and publish scientific papers.
- Present results at international conferences and summits in the Rumigen consortium.
- Applicant must be in possession of Veterinary education (DVM) or master’s degree (MSc) in relevant biomedical sciences such as cellular and/or molecular biology.
- Strong written and oral communication skills in English.
- Experience with animal work, especially farm animals.
- Experience from laboratory work.
- Experience/training in scientific writing.
- Good written and oral communication skills in Norwegian.
Apply online and the following documents must be attached to the application:
- Motivation letter
- Project with some possible issues, limitations and methods chosen on the basis of the description of the main project – this will be further processed by appointment
- Complete CV
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates. Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement, or a similar document, which describes in detail the study program and grading system. Diplomas/certificates.
- Documentation of proficiency in written and oral English
- Names and contact details for two references
- Any documentation of professional knowledge (for example, list of scientific works)
|Organization||Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)|
Biomedical Sciences, Cellular and/or Molecular Biology, Veterinary education
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|