The Division of Industrial Biotechnology at Chalmers University of Technology is seeking a highly motivated PhD student candidate for a project with the overall aim to explore non-conventional yeast species for identification of novel metabolic gene clusters dedicated to carbohydrate utilization.
About the position:
- The selected PhD student will pursue own doctoral studies within the scope of the project.
- Candidate is expected to develop own scientific concepts, to write project reports and scientific manuscripts and to share your research results both in presentations at the division/department and at international conferences.
- Being part of the Division of Industrial Biotechnology also involves taking responsibility for side tasks such as keeping the lab and instruments in good condition.
- This is a full-time temporary employment.
- The position is limited to a maximum of five years (four years plus time for teaching).
- Applicant must hold a master´s degree in microbiology, biotechnology/bioengineering, molecular biology or other related disciplines.
- University courses or equivalent in eukaryotic microbiology, metabolic engineering, enzymology and bioinformatics are qualifying merits.
- Applicant must have proven work experience in a biotechnology laboratory setting and theoretical knowledge and practical experience of molecular biology and microbiology.
- Hand-on experience in bioinformatics, genome editing techniques, heterologous protein expression, enzyme characterization, omics and analytical techniques would be advantageous.
- A successful candidate is able to conduct experiments independently, take own initiatives and discuss/develop own ideas, is creative and have a problem-solving ability.
- Excellent cooperation and social abilities are important, and the candidate must also be highly proficient in spoken and written English.
- Applications to be submitted online and mark with Ref 20190633 (in English). The application should include the following:
- CV including two references that can be contacted
- Personal letter (1-3 pages)
- Copies of bachelor and/or master’s thesis.
- Attested copies and transcripts of completed education, grades and other certificates, eg. TOEFL test results.
|Organization||Chalmers University of Technology|
|Subject areas||Microbiology, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Molecular Biology|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||3rd January 2020|