The Department of Materials Engineering (MTM) at KU Leuven is inviting applications for a PhD position in Development of a Framework for the Determination of Constitutive Parameters. The aim is to develop advanced computational tools and new materials, giving an extra dimension to the ongoing research in the two departments.
About the Project:
- The aim of the Ph.D. project is the development and application of a free and open source framework for crystal plasticity parameter determination based on nanoindentation experiments and continuum modeling.
- This requires developing a contact mechanics formulation that is able to describe the interaction between the nanoindenter and the probed material.
- The proposed tasks include:
- Development of a contact model based on open source numerical libraries
- Implementation of the contact formulation into an existing crystal plasticity code
- Simulation studies to determine constitutive parameters from nanoindentation experiments
- Applicant must have a Master degree and a solid background in one of the following areas: computational materials science and engineering, computational mechanics, mathematical engineering, scientific computing, applied mathematics.
- Applicant should be willing to acquire complementary knowledge from other research areas relevant to the project.
- Excellent proficiency in English is required, both oral and written.
How to apply:
- Apply online
Computational Materials Science And Engineering, Computational Mechanics, Mathematical Engineering, Scientific Computing, Applied Mathematics
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||July 15, 2020|