The Institute of Machine Tools and Manufacturing (IWF) under the Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering (D-MAVT) has open PhD position.
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Machine Learning (ML)
- Big Data analysis and Industry
About the Project:
- Current simulation models are hampered in their efficiency because they rely on classical FEM paradigms, which require constant remeshing in the face of the extremely large deformations encountered during cutting operations.
- A novel simulation tool using meshfree methods was developed at IWF.
- This PhD position is concerned with extending this tool with novel features, ranging from advanced material models to extended applications and state-of-the-art numerical algorithms.
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree in Computer/Computational Science, Physics, Engineering, or a comparable field, and is a proficient programmer with a record of a long time relevant programming experience, especially in C++.
- Applicant must possess fluency in English (both written & spoken) and have a solid mathematical foundation.
- Applicant would have benefit if he/she could also demonstrate knowledge in GPGPU programming (especially CUDA), or alternatively other parallel programming platforms. Knowledge in meshless particle methods, especially Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH) or in other numerical methods to solve Partial Differential Equations (PDEs) would be highly appreciated.
- Applicant would have advantages if he/she could show a background in (nonlinear) Continuum Mechanics.
Apply online including:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivational Letter
- Transcript of records
- reference letters or contact details of referees
|Subject areas||Computer Science, Computational Science, Physics, Engineering|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|