The Department of Food Science, Faculty of Science at the University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship in Metabolic engineering of cyanobacteria for production of aromatic amino acids and derived phenylpropanoids beginning 1 May 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.
About the position:
- The position will be in the group of Professor Poul Erik Jensen, located in the Section of Ingredients and Dairy Technology, Dept. of Food Science, Frederiksberg Campus.
- The aim is to develop a photosynthetic production platform utilizing light and CO2 to synthesize aromatic amino acids and high-value flavonoids.
- To establish a production platform using fast growing cyanobacteria. In this project we will build on recent achievement to overproduce phenylalanine and tyrosine in cyanobacteria and will 1) establish production of the aromatic amino acids tyrosine and phenylalanine in a fast-growing cyanobacterium strain, 2) establish efficiently biosynthesis of the derivatives p-coumaric acid, caffeic acid and ferulic acid, 3) convert these acids into specific flavonoids and 4) use these strains in continuous production platforms by immobilizing the cells.
- The project is in collaboration with Dr. Yagut Allahverdiyeva-Rinne at University of Turku, Finland where another PhD student will be involved.
- Applicants should hold an MSc degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, or Biotechnology with good grades, and they should have good English skills.
- Applicants with prior experience with cyanobacteria or analysis of aromatic amino acids and derived phenylpropanoids using mass-spectrometry will preferred.
Application (in English) must be submitted electronically including:
- Cover Letter, stating which PhD project he/she is applying for and detailing motivation and background for applying for the specific PhD project.
- Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
- Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any),
- Full contact details (Name, address, telephone & email) of 1-3 professional referees
|Organization||University of Copenhagen|
Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biotechnology
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||1st March 2020|