The Department of Animal and Aquacultural Sciences, Faculty of Biosciences at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant 3-year PhD position in evolutionary genomics.
About the project and position:
- Candidate will work in the project SalmoSV that is funded by The Research Council of Norway (RCN). The project is seeking to understand the genome evolution and phenotype-affecting variants following a recent whole-genome duplication of Atlantic salmon.
- The PhD project will focus on the estimation of the effects of structural variants on various phenotypes bioinformatically and reveal the adaptive evolution of structural variants of farmed salmon under domestication compared to their wild counterparts.
- Applicant must hold Master’s degree in Genomics, Bioinformatics, Evolutionary Genetics, or a similar field (120 credits).
- Experience with large genome data analysis
- Experience with command-line-based operation of the High-Performance Computing (HPC) system
- Experience/familiarity with R, Python, and other programming languages
- Statistical/population genomics knowledge (For example, PLINK, VCFTools, GCTA)
- Experience with RNA-sequencing, or eQTL, GWAS or similar functional genomics analysis (For example, DeSeq2, Kallisto, STAR)
Apply online and applications should include (electronically)
- A letter of intent includes: Why is candidate interested in this particular project? How can candidate contribute to the project based on your specific skillsets?
- Curriculum vitae + publication list
- Sample SLURM script which does any genomics-related analysis.
- One-page A4 report which explains the mechanism/theory/analytical methods etc. of (A) “Polygenic adaptation” or (B) “splicing QTL”. Candidate may include figures and formulas in the report.
- Master’s thesis if it is written in English.
- Copies of degree certificates and transcripts of academic records (all certified)
- At least two academic reference persons.
|Organization||Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)|
|Subject areas||Genomics, Bioinformatics, Evolutionary Genetics|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||August 15th, 2021|
- Total Jobs 59 Jobs
- Address Norway