PhD Scholarship Mathematics and Physics
The University of Queensland is recognised nationally and internationally for its research programs across a broad area of mathematics and statistics, and is the leading provider of tertiary mathematics education in Queensland.
- The School of Mathematics and Physics hosts several research centres and is an active partner in a number of multidisciplinary research groups both within and external to the University.
- Our staffs are recognised internationally for their active and dynamic research programs across a wide range of areas in mathematics.
- The University of Queensland is one of the top three universities in Australia, measured by the quality of its comprehensive range of research fields.
- In addition to providing excellent potential for interdisciplinary research, the University is located in the vibrant riverfront city of Brisbane,
- Whose sub-tropical climate, cultural diversity, and proximity to coastal regions make it an attractive environment in which to live?
- Quite generally, cavity opt mechanical sensors consist of a mechanically compliant element coupled to a low loss optical cavity.
- When the mechanical element is exposed to an external force it is displaced in response.
- In the situation considered here, this force arises from an acoustic wave.
- The conversion from displacement to an optical response typically occurs via dispersive coupling,
- Whereby the mechanical displacement alters the cavity length, and therefore the optical resonance frequency.
- The optical cavity serves to resonantly enhance the optical response to this displacement, enabling altimeter displacement resolution and ultra-precise measurement of the acoustic wave.
- The ultimate sensitivity of opt mechanical sensors is set either by the thermal fluctuations of the mechanical element or by the intrinsic quantum mechanical properties of laser light, with the latter presenting an opportunity to further enhance performance by using non-classical states of light (i.e. squeezed light).
- The optical field also introduces quantum back-action on the mechanical element via radiation pressure forces, which can be used to control the acoustic state (i.e. effective temperature and resonant frequency) of the compliant mirror.
- The opt mechanical system considered in this project will build upon our recently developed device, which achieved a sensitivity two orders of magnitude better than existing in-air technologies when normalised to device area.
- Optimising the mechanical and optical properties of this device, with guidance from finite-element-modelling, is expected to enhance the performance by at least one order-of-magnitude
How to Apply
For this admission and scholarship please (See the link below)
|Organization||University of Queensland|
|Deadline||Decmber, 31, 2020|