The Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI) is inviting applications for a PhD student (ESR 9) in Combustion of low calorific value gases in a MGT/SOFC (Micro Gas Turbine/Solid Oxide Fuel Cell) hybrid concept.
Tasks and duties:
- Investigate experimentally and numerically the combustion of typical gases exiting a SOFC.
- Given the low calorific value content of such gases, heterogeneous (catalytic) combustion or combined hetero-/homogeneous (catalytic and gaseous) combustion will be the selected approach in order to enhance the combustion stability.
- The objectives are to identify the operating conditions leading to stable combustion, to assess the combustion efficiency, and finally to investigate the combustion fundamentals in terms of the hetero-/homogeneous chemical kinetic coupling of the two main fuel components, H2 and CO.
- The PhD project will be performed at PSI with a degree allotted from ETH Zurich, Department of Mechanical and Process Engineering.
- Applicant must be in the first 4 years of your research career, having a master degree (or equivalent) in Mechanical/Chemical Engineering or Physics/Chemistry.
- Applicant should not have been living in Switzerland for more than 12 months in the last 3 years.
- Advanced understanding of the fundamentals of reactive flows (chemical kinetics, aerodynamics), interest/basic knowledge in optical/laser based measurement techniques, and basic knowledge of numerical simulation techniques.
Submit application online including addresses of referees for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 4803-00).
|Organization||Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI)|
|Subject areas||Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||30 June 2020|