Ph.D. Studentship: sustainable wastewater treatment technology
Wastewater treatment is energy-intensive conventional activated sludge to more advanced technology for sustainability. Aerobic granular sludge is a novel technology for wastewater treatment, which requires less footprint, less energy consumption and provides opportunities to facilitate resource recovery from wastewater.
- The aim of this project is to focus on improving granule stability and retention at different operational conditions with different operation modes.
- More specifically, this project is to investigate the competition and cooperation between suspended sludge and granular sludge as well as the dependence of granule structure on operation conditions to make a link between operational conditions and granule stability (e.g. structure stability and performance stability).
- The wastewater treatment experiment will be carried out in lab-scale bioreactors which we have been using to form granules to treat wastewater.
- You will work within the Water and Environmental Engineering Group at the University of Southampton which is equipped with cutting edge research equipment for wastewater and waste-related projects.
- If you wish to discuss any details of the project informally, please contact Dr. Yongqiang Liu, Water, and Environmental Engineering Research Group, Email: Y.Liu@soton.ac.uk, Tel: +44 (0) 2380 59 2843.
- A very good undergraduate degree (at least a UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent).
- Closing date: applications should be received no later than 31 August 2020 for standard admissions, but later applications may be considered depending on the funds remaining in place.
- Funding: Full tuition plus, for UK students, and an enhanced stipend of £15,009 tax-free per annum for up to 3.5 years.
How To Apply
Applications should be made online here selecting “Ph.D. Engineering and the Environment (Full time)” as the program. Please enter Dr. Yongqiang Liu under the proposed supervisor.
Applications should include:
- Research Proposal
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two reference letters
- Degree Transcripts to date
For further information please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org