The Institute for Extra-cutting edge Science and Technology Avant-garde Research (X-star) at Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) is inviting applications for a Postdoctoral Researcher (EGP20-006) in Super-cutting-edge Grand and Advanced Research (SUGAR) Program.
About the position:
- The selected Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research on a Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP) research project titled “Stable propagation of a minimal synthetic cell (December 1, 2020 – November 30, 2023 Principal Investigator: Yutetsu Kuruma)” under the research area “Construction and application of artificial (synthetic) cells built up by assembling biomolecules and genes within lipid vesicles (liposomes)”.
- The purpose of this contract research is to construct a self-reproducible, artificial (synthetic) cell system using cell-free protein synthesis and lipid membrane vesicle technology. Specifically, we aim to rebuild the process of cell propagation based on the reconstruction of biochemical reactions within membrane vesicles, and to investigate this process using soft matter physics and/or a chemical engineering approach.
- Preparation and microscopic observation of vesicles (liposomes)
- Perform cell-free biochemical reactions; analyze reaction products by LCMS
- Develop and functionally evaluate artificial cell systems capable of synthesizing membrane proteins
- Prepare research reports and academic manuscripts for peer review
Research Fields: Synthetic Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics
- Applicants are required to have been awarded or expect to have obtained a Ph.D. in a related field by the effective date of employment. In addition, no more than 5 years can have passed between the last day of the fiscal year in which the applicants obtained a Ph.D. and the effective date of employment. (i.e., applicants who earned a Ph.D. after April 2015 are eligible.)
- Interest in Synthetic Biology research
Submit all required documents and that all documents are fully completed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org including:
- Valid E-mail and home address must be provided.
- Summary of research (1 page)
- Research plan for the project (1 page)
- Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles.
- List of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant.
- Two (or fewer) representative publications in PDF formats.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
|Subject areas||Synthetic Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||October 6, 2020|