The European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) has a postdoctoral position in Chemical Biology. The aim is to develop novel ABA modulators that can be used to improve environmental stress resistance, growth and seed germination in plants. The project is strongly focused on applied research with the clear aim of developing molecules of real practical and commercial applicability.
- Design and synthesize new bioactive compounds as modulators of the ABA receptor family.
- Collaborate closely with Computational Chemistry, X-ray Crystallography, in vitro and in vivo Screening experts
- Design, conduct and optimize multi-step syntheses as required by project needs.
- Monitor reactions and characterize the products using standard analytical methods (TLC, HPLC, HPLC-MS and NMR).
- Evaluate both chemical and biological results and define routes for compound optimization.
- Maintain accurate documentation of procedures and results according to laboratory’s guidelines.
- Report results in internal meetings
- Contribute to conceptual planning and monitoring of project progress.
- Mentor Ph.D. and Masters students working in the lab.
- Contribute to the smooth operation and maintenance of lab infrastructure and equipment.
- Adhere to health and safety requirements.
- Applicant must hold PhD in Organic Chemistry or equivalent qualification. Postdoctoral experience would be preferred.
- Profound experience in organic syntheses and analytical techniques.
- Experience in the design and synthesis of biologically active molecules
- Knowledge and experience in the synthesis, analysis and purification of chiral molecules, including chiral chromatography, chiral resolution and enantioselective synthesis.
- Ability to work productively in an interdisciplinary team environment.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Working knowledge of English is mandatory.
- Experience with standard software packages, search engines and scientific database is expected.
Duration: initially for a two year period
How to apply:
|Organization||European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL)|
|Subject areas||Organic Chemistry|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||5 May 2021|