The Faculty of Science, Department of Chemistry at Lund University is recruiting a postdoctoral scientist for a joint project between the Department of Chemistry, Division of Theoretical Chemistry, and the European Spallation Source ERIC to investigate the mechanism and selectivity of antimicrobial peptides in cancer therapies, using a combination of computer simulations and neutron/X-ray scattering studies in models of tumour cell membranes.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- The main duties of the position will be to develop methods for the isolation and analysis of biologically deuterated lipids and the reconstitution of appropriated cell membrane models for neutron and X-ray scattering experiments to probe the interaction and mechanism of natural and synthetic peptides, in combination with computer simulations.
- Applicant must have PhD, or an international degree deemed equivalent to a PhD, within the subject of the position, completed no more than three years before the last date for applications. Under special circumstances, the doctoral degree can have been completed earlier.
- Very good oral and written proficiency in English.
- Experience of working in an international environment Excellent oral and written proficiency in Swedish is desirable
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally to perform experiments at X-ray and neutron facilities
- Experience of lipid extraction and purification from cell cultures and analysis/isolation using liquid and gas chromatography methods is essential
- Hands-on experience and a good understanding of neutron reflectometry and small angle scattering experiments, as well as data-analysis for investigating lipid membranes is essential
- Experience of analytical or preparative HPLC, mass spectrometry and/or NMR analysis of lipids is desirable
- Experience in or an interest to learn to culture cells (yeast, bacteria) would be beneficial
- Experience in and willingness to contribute to general laboratory housekeeping activities, including waste disposal, chemical/consumable ordering, chemical inventory, as well as maintaining and calibrating equipment used is required.
How to apply:
Apply online and applications shall be written in English and be compiled into a PDF-file containing:
- CV including a list of publications
- a general description of past research and future research interests (max three pages)
- Contact information of at least two references,
- Copy of the doctoral degree certificate, and other certificates/grades that you wish to be considered.
- Motivation of the eligibility of this position (½ A4 page)
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|