The Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute (Swiss TPH) associated with the University of Basel, Swiss TPH combines research, services, and education and training at the local, national and international level, within a Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation – funded project, is recruiting an outstanding Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Microbiology.
About the project:
- The project aims at developing microbiota-targeted interventions to treat the dysbiosis associated with undernutrition and environmental enteric dysfunction (EED), a chronic inflammatory disease in children from low- and middle-income countries.
- The project aims at isolating and characterizing health deteriorating as well as potential next generation probiotics and to test them in model systems.
- The position is based in Switzerland in the Human and Animal Health Unit under the supervision of Dr. Pascale Vonaesch and is embedded in a larger project executed in close collaboration with the Maier Group, University of Tübingen.
- Isolating health-deteriorating and health-promoting bacteria (“next generation probiotics”) from human samples
- Develop new tools to rapidly identify different members of the human microbiota
- Perform in vitroand in vivoassays to assess for the biological functions of these bacteria
- Write reports and publications
- Disseminate your results at national and international conferences
- Other laboratory-based and analysis tasks as needed within the project
- Applicant must hold excellent PhD in microbiology
- Previous experience in clinical microbiology, especially with anaerobic bacteria, would be an asset
- Experience in working with rodent-models and organizational skills and detail-oriented working style is a plus.
- Applicant must hold excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Strong interest in the microbiome and microbiota-targeted interventions
Duration: fully funded, for two years
Submit application online as a single pdf file including the following:
- Motivational letter
- Reference letters and diploma
- Names and contact information (email or phone) of 3 references
- Short description of previous research
|Organization||University of Basel|
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|