The Postdoctoral Research Program (PRP) is an international and horizontal program that provides promising new scientists access to unique world-class facilities across Canada and the opportunity to work alongside multidisciplinary teams of expert researchers and technicians on projects of critical importance to Canada.
If you submit your application to this program and your application meets the eligibility criteria, you will be added to an inventory accessible by departments and agencies participating in the Postdoctoral Research Program.
As positions become available in one of the participating departments or agencies, candidates who meet the advertised qualifications identified in the PRP selection criteria, may be contacted to initiate the hiring process.
If you are contacted, the hiring organization will provide you with a complete copy of the criteria that will be used to evaluate your application.
Hiring Departments and Agencies
- Natural Resources Canada
- Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
- Canadian Grain Commission
- Environment and Climate Change Canada
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- Health Canada
- Public Health Agency of Canada
Type of selection process
Government Classification and Salary Range
Scientific Researchers (SE-RES) salary levels are incumbent-base. Therefore, the level of the position will be determined by the qualifications/ accomplishments of the successful candidate. As the PRP is for researchers at the beginning of their careers, starting salaries usually range between $55,870 and $86,853.
Type of employment
Temporary employment (Term – determinate)
Duration of employment
Variable – Dependent on the position to be staffed
Reliability or Secret security clearance depending on the position
Various work locations across Canada
- Conduct research that contributes to improvements in theories and/or techniques through the innovation or modification of concepts, theories, and approaches and/or new solutions.
- Plan, organize, conduct and control research projects and/or field work under guidance.
- Conceive, carry out, and report on research and development projects and/or field work with guidance.
- Responsible for carrying out research for decisions affecting own research, and the integrity of data and their analysis.
- Write and publish papers and reports documenting and interpreting results of research.
- Contribute to expert-reviewed research publications.
- Represent own research in meetings/events and discussing research outcomes. Attend workshops and/or conferences and present paper(s) on own research.
PRP Selection Criteria
- Candidates must have obtained a doctoral degree (PhD) within the last three (3) years* from a recognized post-secondary institution in a field of natural sciences with a specialization and thesis subject related to the duties of the position.
- Haven’t graduated yet? You can apply to the PRP if you are currently enrolled in a doctoral program at a recognized post-secondary institution, however, you must have completed your degree in order to be appointed to a position.
- *Special consideration may be given to applicants who were unable to apply during the 3-year period, due to a significant career interruption or delay.
- Experience in planning and conducting research.
- Experience in working with a team of researchers and support staff.
- Productivity/Recognition: Refers to recognized achievement in the form of authorship and editorship of published or unpublished reports, books, papers, peer-reviewed scientific journals, or other communications resulting from:
- Research, experimental development, or tasking associated with operational equipment and problems; OR
- Operational research and scientific analysis; OR
- Planning, analysis, and evaluation of Canadian and foreign programs in research and development; OR
- Developmental work leading to the issue of patents, copyrights, or the creation of improved varieties, functions, or designs, and/or recognition by the professional community of the research environment.
- Additional experience criteria may be added based on the position being staffed.
- Interactive Communication
- Additional competencies may be added based on the position being staffed.
Who can apply: Canadians and non-Canadians. Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order.
Conditions of employment & Operational Requirements
Successful candidate(s) must meet and maintain any applicable Conditions of Employment throughout their employment. Conditions of employment and Operational Requirements may vary depending on the position being staffed but may include the conditions below.
Click “Show Content” for the Conditions of Employment and Operational Requirements of each participating federal organizations
- Total Jobs 621 Jobs
- Address India