The Super-cutting-edge Grand and Advanced Research (SUGAR) Program, Institute for Extra-cutting-edge Science and Technology Avant-garde Research (X-star) at Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) is recruiting one positions as a Project Researcher (Ⅱ). (EGS20-016). The Project Researcher will conduct research project on the Moonshot Research and Development Program titled “Research and development of marine biodegradable plastics with degradation initiation switch function funded by New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization. The purpose of this research contract is to develop polysaccaride-based materials that are biodegradable under certain marine environments, through a series of degradation experiments in the laboratory and in situ.
About the Research:
- The successful applicant will work on one of following topics for the development of novel biodegradable polysaccaride-based materials, with a close collaboration with researchers in different fields including material science, marine chemistry, marine biology, microbiology, and bioinformatics.
- Development of novel polysaccaride-based materials and incorporation of degradation-initiation functions to the materials by compositing with different polymers and/or chemical modification.
- Characterization of the functional properties of proteins in eukaryotic/prokaryotic microbes that contribute to the biodegradation of polysaccarides.
- Identification of (trace) elements adsorbed onto the polysaccaride-based materials and their roles in biodegradability in marine environments.
Research Fields: Material science, Applied microbiology, Biochemistry, Marine biology, Microbial engineering
- The successful applicant must have completed a Ph.D. in a closely related field of research or technology development.
Apply by sending all required documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SUGAR-MS EGS20-016” in the subject line
- Valid E-mail and home address must be provided.
- Summary of research (1 page)
- Research plan for the project (1 page)
- Publication (achievement) list including thesis titles.
- List of competitive research funds awarded to the applicant.
- Two (or fewer) representative publications in PDF formats.
- Two letters of recommendation from two senior research researchers (1 letter from each) emailed directly to JAMSTEC with a signed letter as an attached file in PDF format.
Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)
|Fellowship Level||Technical position|
Material science, Applied microbiology, Biochemistry, Marine biology, Microbial engineering
|Eligibility||Open to all nationalities|
|Deadline||February 12, 2021|